cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to migrate EV environment from one domain to other

Richard14
Level 3

Dear,

Can someone tell me how to migrate our EV environment from one domain to other.

We have also the plan to upgrade our Enterprise Vault 7.5 to version 8.4 or 9.0

The server running EV will also be upgraded from Windows 2003 to 2008.

The old Windows 2003 SQL 2000 server will also be migrated to a new server with Windows 2008 and SQL 2005.

We are only using file archiving at this moment.

The File Servers running the FSA Agent are also moved to the new domain.

Who can give me some hints or links to documentation to do this.enlightened

Richard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

to be honest, it sounds like a major project and you should probably think about engaging symantec on it, not only are you upgrading, you're switching hardware, switching domains, theres a lot of moving pieces that would have to be taken in to consideration and not knowing your environment, we could recommend something that had we have known about before may be completely false for what issues you are facing

really though its a multi part solution, you would be best off upgrading the old environment directly to EV9, then on the new server install EV9.

In the new domain you are going to have to create a new EVAdmin, new EVAnon etc, make sure that the evadmin has the correct rights to the new exchange server and the new SQL Servers etc, make sure that the deployment scanner comes back spotless

Then you will have to look at how you are migrating users from the old exchange environment to the new one (i am assuming this is a company wide move and not just something for the Enterprise vault?) because in that case its best to ensure that the LegacyMbxDN remains the same as it is in the old environment so you can run synchinmigration mode to make things easier on yourself

If the old environment has been set up correctly, you should hopefully have everything set up with DNS Aliases that do not refer to the fully qualified domain

So if you have your site as evsite.myOldDomain.com then you will have to either set up new DNS aliases referencing your old domain, or you are literally going to have to migrate your users either through PST Exports or the move archive wizard in to the new environment

If your DNS Alias for the site is just EVSite then you should be good, make sure that your DNS is set up to point to the new server names, you will also have to do some editing around the ComputerEntry tables in the SQL Databases etc

Like I said, major project, many things to think about

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Just use the search on this site its been covered a number of times.

You will also need to upgrade from 7.5 to 8 then to 9 you cannot just upgrade to 9

To be honest, if you don't know how to do it should you really be doing it?

JesusWept3
Level 6

to be honest, it sounds like a major project and you should probably think about engaging symantec on it, not only are you upgrading, you're switching hardware, switching domains, theres a lot of moving pieces that would have to be taken in to consideration and not knowing your environment, we could recommend something that had we have known about before may be completely false for what issues you are facing

really though its a multi part solution, you would be best off upgrading the old environment directly to EV9, then on the new server install EV9.

In the new domain you are going to have to create a new EVAdmin, new EVAnon etc, make sure that the evadmin has the correct rights to the new exchange server and the new SQL Servers etc, make sure that the deployment scanner comes back spotless

Then you will have to look at how you are migrating users from the old exchange environment to the new one (i am assuming this is a company wide move and not just something for the Enterprise vault?) because in that case its best to ensure that the LegacyMbxDN remains the same as it is in the old environment so you can run synchinmigration mode to make things easier on yourself

If the old environment has been set up correctly, you should hopefully have everything set up with DNS Aliases that do not refer to the fully qualified domain

So if you have your site as evsite.myOldDomain.com then you will have to either set up new DNS aliases referencing your old domain, or you are literally going to have to migrate your users either through PST Exports or the move archive wizard in to the new environment

If your DNS Alias for the site is just EVSite then you should be good, make sure that your DNS is set up to point to the new server names, you will also have to do some editing around the ComputerEntry tables in the SQL Databases etc

Like I said, major project, many things to think about

Richard14
Level 3

Dear JesusWept2,

We are not using mail archiving at this moment but only file archiving.

How will my moved file servers recall archived items on the new domain.

I expect that by place holders are pointing to the wronge ev server.

Richard.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

That answer to is covered a number of times, but take a look here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/file-system-archiving-enterprise-vault-v9-placeholder-...

JesusWept3
Level 6

tbh this is why i said contact symantec because they can see your exact environment and configuration where as we can only make assumption that might be wrong for you

Richard14
Level 3

ok i will contact symantec about this.

But do you know how to change the placeholder files to point to the rights ev server.

Richard14
Level 3

Thanks Wayne,

I was thinking that this post is a description about moving inside the same domain and not to another one.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Richard,

If both servers are in the same domain, you should have no issue.  I.E. put the Enterprise Vault Server and your File Server in the new domain at the same time.