cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to search and diagnose issues with dtrace logs in Enterprise vault

pravingoud
Level 4

Dear Team,

Please let me know How to search and find error in dtrace log. i havent any knowledge about dtrace in Enterpriuse vault please let me know how to use dtrace and how to find error or issue in dtrace log.

Thanks in Advance,

Pravin Goud. 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pravin,

it depents on the issues you are having. For example you see errors messages related to mailbox archiving start with tracing the archivetask process. Use the EventID that is occuring and follow the thread that is throwing the error until you do find the initial error.

Let me show you an example. ArchivingTask is giving me error eventID 3460 

398 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV~E Event ID: 3460 The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for EX2013' failed to log on to Exchange server 'EX2013' ......

going this thread a bit up is giving me:

394 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV:H {CAgentTask::Initialise:#1361} Failed to open privileged MAPI session: [0x8004011d]. Aborting agent startup.

You then should try to find the initial occurence which is in my case:

379 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV:L {HrMAPIOpenMsgStoreKvs:#59} Opened msg store [0x8004011d]

Based on that information you could do some google searches or take a look at the Veritas KB. The following technote is helpful to find the correct processes to trace:

List of DTrace processes and descriptions of each process responsibility.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129595 

You could also let us know the specific errors you are facing and we can try to assist on this

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

View solution in original post

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

To add to what Marc said, here there is another article that provides some good DTrace basics:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/DTRACE-Basics/ta-p/807016

--Virgil

I fully endorse that link :)

Working for cloudficient.com

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

nice article Rob.

To summarize for someone who has not used it at all.

You use Dtrace to troubleshoot certain EV problems. Therefore you have to recreate the problem and the log will document the errors on a deeper level.

Important: to see Dtrace in the console you need to:

1. click Tools in Taskbar>>Enable Advanced Features

2. Rightclick EV-Server >> refresh

Only then you can see the option to dtrace.

After this step you can open Dtrace and rightclick to create a new Dtrace. 

Some Dtraces can only be done with commandline though atleast as standard tasks.

6 REPLIES 6

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pravin,

it depents on the issues you are having. For example you see errors messages related to mailbox archiving start with tracing the archivetask process. Use the EventID that is occuring and follow the thread that is throwing the error until you do find the initial error.

Let me show you an example. ArchivingTask is giving me error eventID 3460 

398 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV~E Event ID: 3460 The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for EX2013' failed to log on to Exchange server 'EX2013' ......

going this thread a bit up is giving me:

394 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV:H {CAgentTask::Initialise:#1361} Failed to open privileged MAPI session: [0x8004011d]. Aborting agent startup.

You then should try to find the initial occurence which is in my case:

379 19:32:10.983 [15588] (ArchiveTask) <26704> EV:L {HrMAPIOpenMsgStoreKvs:#59} Opened msg store [0x8004011d]

Based on that information you could do some google searches or take a look at the Veritas KB. The following technote is helpful to find the correct processes to trace:

List of DTrace processes and descriptions of each process responsibility.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129595 

You could also let us know the specific errors you are facing and we can try to assist on this

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

To add to what Marc said, here there is another article that provides some good DTrace basics:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/DTRACE-Basics/ta-p/807016

--Virgil

I fully endorse that link :)

Working for cloudficient.com

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

nice article Rob.

To summarize for someone who has not used it at all.

You use Dtrace to troubleshoot certain EV problems. Therefore you have to recreate the problem and the log will document the errors on a deeper level.

Important: to see Dtrace in the console you need to:

1. click Tools in Taskbar>>Enable Advanced Features

2. Rightclick EV-Server >> refresh

Only then you can see the option to dtrace.

After this step you can open Dtrace and rightclick to create a new Dtrace. 

Some Dtraces can only be done with commandline though atleast as standard tasks.

Hi Marcde,

Thank You So much for your answer

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

Hi Rob,

Nice article :) 

Thanks 

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin