cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

index location after upgrade 12.3 to 14.4

Y1251
Level 5

Hi,

We try to upgrade our EV version from 12.3 to 14.4, after upgrade to 14.4 there is a message show "caution: older indices cannot be accessed if the index location is changed. click help to know how to access the older indices."

Question:

1. is it must step to change index location once upgrade? if so, may I have the step to do it?

2. if we change the index location, should we need to check the queue location in storage queue as well? can system will auto change it?

Y1251_0-1683343104042.png

9 REPLIES 9

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello. Did you click Help? As far as I know, there is no need to move the indexlocation UNLESS the indexlocation needs to be moved due to space-constraints. 

The queuelocation in the storagequeue is not related to indexing (storage-queue = storageservice.) 

These locations will not be change 'automatic by EV', as you control this.

For the index-move, also see this KB article

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi, 

I'm also planning to upgrade to 14.4 and have a lots of question about the new Indexing engine.

What I understood from the Upgrade_Instructions.pdf is that:

• The old indexing location would be closed
  • Must configure the new Elasticsearch location
  • Both Indexing search engine would work simultaneously 

My postponing upgrading the lab, because I can't rollback. 

So what I would like to know is:

Where did this message popup  "caution: older indices cannot be accessed if the index location is changed. click help to know how to access the older indices." ?

Thank you 

António

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks, just raise a ticket to support and they mention that is a must step to re-configure the index location if upgrade version from 12.3 to 14.4. will have a remote session to check how to change the index location tomorrow.

Hi António,

the message was show in Indexing Service properties as below screen short. 

i have the same result that all index mark as closed once updated. May I know how you re-configure the index location in the same drive?

Thx

Tonaco_pt

Hi Y1251,

Thank you, for your update.

So I think I understood correctly. This part "older indices cannot be accessed if the index location is changed" is what starlet me.

I possible can you tell me what the actual size of the EV index Location and tomorrow ask, what is the expect size if you move all index to the new engine (Elasticsearch)?

I ask because, from my planning I'll need 9 TB for the new engine ( +18TB for Backup snapshoots ), now we have 3.5 TB taken up with indexes.

HI António,

The size of the EV index Location is around 2 TB.

Tonaco_pt

Hi Y1251,

Thank you, 

Are you going to keep both index location? or upgrading all to the Elasticsearch?

If you are upgrade how big is the size for Veritas recommends in your case?

kiyan
Level 4

Hi,

due to design change in new EV  Index engine,after 14.0, you need to create a new index location.
the new index  location should be 1.5 times or 2 times of your current index as it should be able to handle your legacy index in case you want to upgrade them all.

do not forget the concept of back up in the new index which is snapshot based.in 14.4 you will be able to manage the number of snapshots to keep and even scheduling it from site options.

Tonaco_pt

Thank you Ahmadjamali,

That was very helpfull.