cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mac client registration

JB22
Level 5

Hi,

I'm reading article http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH181247 about outlook 2011 on mac and enterprise vault.

What I don't understand is the mac client registration bit.

What I would like to know is when and how a mac client (outlook 2011) is registering itself or how the whole process works.

Would be great if anyone could explain this or where I can find some extra info.

Thanks,

JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amit_Dol
Level 4
Employee Accredited

As far as my knowledge, MAC Outlook client communicates with exchange using WEBDAV / EWS protocol. Hence the EV Outlook Add-in for MAC Client will not able to work similar like OUTLOOK Add-ins on Windows. EV use hidden message for policy synchronization and inside those message we also need to write some X-headers specially for MAC Outlook clients so that our add-ins installed on then can understand it. Therefore when EV Outlook Add-ins is installed on MAC it registers with EV and we make entry in "RegisteredClient" table in EV Directory database. The Policy Synchronization / Archiving Task comes to know that user has also access his mailbox via MAC Client and it adds some extra X-headers. The registration is done when outlook is open and EV Addins is launched; but AFAIK it does not always goes and registers. It has interval specified 24 hrs / 1 day. If it is already registred then it won't go and register with EV even if you closed and re-open outlook and ev addins frequently during a day within 24 hrs.

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It would seem to be just a call to a webpage that then updates the tables, thats all, looks like a fairly shallow piece of functionality, hence not much documentation around it

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JB22
Level 5

Is a client the registered from the minute a archived mail is opened?

I did some testing but can not find a trigger on which a archived get registered as an mac client.

It is rather important because then extra info is added to the archived items and this seems to be necessary to smoothly open an item in outlook 2011.

Thanks for any explanation.

JB

JesusWept3
Level 6

gut feeling says its as soon as outlook is started and the client is instantiated.
have a look at the console when you open Outlook and the mac addin and see if you see any mention of the client registration there?

JB22
Level 5

In the console, when I look at an exchange mailbox archive which I know is as a mac client registrated by executing the sql query, I don't see anything marking this archive as "using or being marked as" a mac client.

If I would know how to get a client registered I would be great.

Thanks,

JB

JesusWept3
Level 6

nono i meant the mac console, it will output all the logging information

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wonder if there really is anything going on beyond client authentication. have you been able to put this to rest yet? i have a feeling that the verbiage around "registration" really just meant the credentials being passed from the mac ev client to the ev server to auth with iis.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

JB22, any further thoughts or questions on this?

Amit_Dol
Level 4
Employee Accredited

As far as my knowledge, MAC Outlook client communicates with exchange using WEBDAV / EWS protocol. Hence the EV Outlook Add-in for MAC Client will not able to work similar like OUTLOOK Add-ins on Windows. EV use hidden message for policy synchronization and inside those message we also need to write some X-headers specially for MAC Outlook clients so that our add-ins installed on then can understand it. Therefore when EV Outlook Add-ins is installed on MAC it registers with EV and we make entry in "RegisteredClient" table in EV Directory database. The Policy Synchronization / Archiving Task comes to know that user has also access his mailbox via MAC Client and it adds some extra X-headers. The registration is done when outlook is open and EV Addins is launched; but AFAIK it does not always goes and registers. It has interval specified 24 hrs / 1 day. If it is already registred then it won't go and register with EV even if you closed and re-open outlook and ev addins frequently during a day within 24 hrs.

Hope this helps you.