Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merge 2 ev servers different sites same domain

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi

I have a scenario, where I got an existing customer (not my installation and design unfortunately, else this question wouldn't be here...), that have 2 exchange 2007 servers, each in a different city, with it's own EV server per exchange server.

The EV servers are in different sites and separate directories.

The customer wants to upgrade to exchange 2013, and have it in a cluster mode between the 2 cities.

The common sense is that at the moment, EV cannot support it, as they are 2 different sites & directories, and I cannot archive 1 exchange server on 2 different EV's.

BUT - since the EV servers are on the same domain, anything at all that prevents me than moving all the archives from one EV site to another?

I'm asking as I never used the move EV feature before...

What is there to be done in order for me to merge the 2 EV servers to 1 EV server?

Thanks,

Sarah.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

It is possible to move archives between sites, providing the permissions are there.  I would move all the archives to one EV server, using the move archive feature (or get a 3rd party migration tool) and decommission the 2nd EV site.  You'll need to use the move archive or 3rd party migration in order to get the shortcuts updated properly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

It is possible to move archives between sites, providing the permissions are there.  I would move all the archives to one EV server, using the move archive feature (or get a 3rd party migration tool) and decommission the 2nd EV site.  You'll need to use the move archive or 3rd party migration in order to get the shortcuts updated properly.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Sarah,

Move Archive from one EV server to another would be OK. This PDF have more details regarding Move Archive:

Enterprise Vault Move Archive Feature Overview
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129236

After that, you could uninstall the source EV server and add it as a second server to the remaining EV site. I hope this helps.

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks all!

Will use the move archive, wasn't sure about the process between different sites, but now i'm fine with your answers smiley

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You're very welcome

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Sarah,

If you have many archives, you might be better of using a 3rd party tool. Check Quadrotech Archive Shuttle!

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan