cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating archive from EV5.0 to a new EV10 server

russianro
Level 4

hello,

Can some one help how can i move data from ev5.0 to a new EV10 server ? I tried with exporting pst but after importing the data are poiting again to EV5 server

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Russianro.

Can you explain your setup a bit more,and what you do exactly? Are you also moving exchange version?

In theorie, and I am not familiar with EV5...

What you can do (without going through the updates) is the following:

make sure that the users are no longer archived from the EV5 server. Zap all mailboxes. In the mailboxes, remove all Enterprise Vault 5.0 shortcuts. Export the archives to PST.

enable the users for archiving in the EV10 server. Make sure archives get created. Import PST's in the archives, selecting the option to create shortcuts in the mailbox. Or, import the pst's into the mailboxes, and let EV10 archive from there.

I assume from your short entry that the shortcuts in the users mailboxes are pointing to the old archives, because they are the old shortcuts. If the above steps prove to be taking long, you might want to check a 3rd party tool (we use TransVault , which is good) to migrate the data.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA

Hello Russianro.

Can you explain your setup a bit more,and what you do exactly? Are you also moving exchange version?

In theorie, and I am not familiar with EV5...

What you can do (without going through the updates) is the following:

make sure that the users are no longer archived from the EV5 server. Zap all mailboxes. In the mailboxes, remove all Enterprise Vault 5.0 shortcuts. Export the archives to PST.

enable the users for archiving in the EV10 server. Make sure archives get created. Import PST's in the archives, selecting the option to create shortcuts in the mailbox. Or, import the pst's into the mailboxes, and let EV10 archive from there.

I assume from your short entry that the shortcuts in the users mailboxes are pointing to the old archives, because they are the old shortcuts. If the above steps prove to be taking long, you might want to check a 3rd party tool (we use TransVault , which is good) to migrate the data.

Regards. Gertjan

russianro
Level 4

Hi GertjanA,

How can i remove shortcuts from the mailbox? For example i have one mailbox with 1.300.000 archived items in 80 folders

GertjanA

1.300.000 shortcuts? wauw.

On EV5, I am not sure. There might be an option on the Mailbox Policy (Archiving Policy) to delete shortcuts older than x-days. If that exists, set that to 1, it will delete shortcuts older than 1 day.

If it does not exist, depending on the exchange-version you use, you might be able to delete the items with an exchange-policy.

If that does not work, you might want your user to do it himself.

The rule has to look at items with a messageclass called "IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut"

(user = Advanced find)

Regards. Gertjan

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

using a 3rd Party Software for automation of Migration. (e.g. ArchiveShuttle)

At least from ArchiveShuttle i know that it's still EV5 compatible.

Regards,
Peter

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

TransVault, as mentioned by Gertjan in the original reply, is EV5 compatible and can migrate the shortcuts for you and save you the hassle of going to PST by migrating the data directly into your EV 10 server.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Andrew,

Archiveshuttle is using EV API's in it's newest version... ;)

Just fyi...

Peter

DanClark
Level 3
Partner

Andy is correct - we have a dynamic detection mechanism that will work with multiple versions of EV5 (right through to EV10+)  - by detecting the version of the source and target's API's automatically and do a direct migration with integrated shortcut coversion.

No need for PST's, scripting or import/export!