cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move a folder from a storage location

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

We use mountpoints to give EV storage locations.

I have one location which is completely full. Why is not known, we assume someone set the rollover value for the volume at 1% (or perhaps 0%).

I have this location:

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2007
G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2008
G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2009
G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2010
G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2011

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVStorage2 is the folder where the disk is mounted in. EVSTORAGE2 is the mountpoint. The foldername EVSTORAGE is to handle the virusexclusions-settings.

Is it possible to only move folder 2007 (as example) without too much trouble in SQL? I am aware of how to move the complete location, but that is not the goal of this question. Is it simple, or does it require extensive updating of multiple tables?

I am also investigating if it is possible to get more storage allocated (either to extend the disk, or to add it somehow using a new mountpoint), but that might take too long...

Thanks for advice!

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling

Yes that makes sense and is what I was afraid of.  It won't be a simple one line update in SQL to move this location.  Not sure if that is the route I would go down.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

So what is underneath 2007?  I guess I am unclear as to which folder is the actual partition.

GertjanA

Hello Tony,

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\ is a 1GB disk where the targetfolders for the mountpoints are.

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2 is the location where the volume is mounted in.

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\ is the folder on the mounted volume where the subfolders are created. This is the folder that is listed on the Vault Store Partition Properties as Location. That obviously shows as "\\servername\evstoragesrvxxx\evstorage2\evstorage"

G:\EVSTORAGESRVXXX\EVSTORAGE2\EVSTORAGE\2007 is the actual storage for archived items. This has subfolders like 04-10, 04-17 etc.

Does that make sense?

Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling

Yes that makes sense and is what I was afraid of.  It won't be a simple one line update in SQL to move this location.  Not sure if that is the route I would go down.

GertjanA

no, we neither. We've moved the oldest locations somewhere else. I am aware this will cause problems, but for now, we'll see how it goes. We might need to mount a new volume in an empty folder on the location, but I am not sure that will also make the top location see more free space. Something to test tonight at home :)

Regards. Gertjan