Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving stub files between mailboxes creating authorisation issues

Mikeydee135
Level 4

Hi Guys

I have the exact problem described here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51056&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1325784387594cTRUfO8Zc0Xv9OBx66N310c050ZNhac4BZtnH

i can restore the emails using the all powerful EV service account. however we have a huge number of users moving old emails to public folder repositories for email. many will have passed the archiving threshold. are there any ways to prevent or cause a stub folder to update automatically when moved to a new location, people opening public folder emails cannot view certain messages which link back to the private vault of hte original user.

the cause is fairly simple but educating users to prevent this will not be.

Any help or advise apreciated.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you are back to a user education piece and submission of an enhancement request to SYMC for futher investigation on this "feature".

Sorry.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

What version of EV?

Not 100% sure it will help but do you have Allow Shortcut Copy set to no?

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37239

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Hey Mikeydee,

as you said before, the shortcuts are linked to the User-Archive.  As the user that opens the Shortcut in the PF normally don't have permissions he's getting an "access denied"...

We're currently developing a tool for a customer, which is able to scan the public folder and identify the foreign shortcuts. (also if you use Public Folder Archiving...)  If foreign shortcuts are found, they will be automatically replaced trough EV-API downloaded "originals". This Scan/Replace runs normally once a week and is also able to handle huge PF-structures. 

We're currently thinking about publishing this toolset as a "Product" in combination with a Filesystem-Tool that allows the the identification and replacement of shortcuts in .msg files. I've seen too many users copying mails to project folders on filesystems...

Another benefit is that the similar issue can be solved , if a DMS-System (which often stores data in the flat-filesystem...) is in use and contains as well cheked-in shortcuts.

If  you like, drop me a pm... 

Cheers,
Peter

Prone2Typos

Last I knew. . this was currently being looked at to force a restore prior to moving the items. THe issue gets worse when there is an entire folder done as you can see here.

The issue is there may not be hooks in the Outlook action (like when you would reply to an archived item and it would force a recall of it for example) of moving to another mailbox to force the recall.

Tony's suggestion may be your best bet. . prevention of the coppying of items and force them to recall them prior to moving or copying.

Mikeydee135
Level 4

I have made the change sugested by Tony. not sure if this applys to moved stubs as well as copied but i'll have to check this through testing.

Will this policy enforce on already generated stubs or just the future ones?

Prone2Typos

I believe it should be retroactive once the policy is applied to the users and they log out and in.

Mikeydee135
Level 4

the policy does prevent users from copying stubs but it does not stop htem draggign and dropping (ie moving) stubs to a new location.

does anyone have any further suggestions?

Prone2Typos

I think you are back to a user education piece and submission of an enhancement request to SYMC for futher investigation on this "feature".

Sorry.

Mikeydee135
Level 4

User Education is always a challenge.

thanks all for your help.