cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to EV with a few questions regarding file retrieval

Staun
Level 3

We are just about to push the button for file-archiving, but we have a few unsolved questions You guys might be able to help us with.

What happens when:

1. Backup (IBM Tivoli)

When Backup-system is scanning files to backup (changed/ new files). Will a scan of an archived file start a retrieval of the archived file from the archive-server/ storage?

2. Antivirus (Trend Micro)

When AV is scanning files, will this start a retrieval of the archived files? (have read about the exclusion of files etc. but did not get the exact answer I was looking for.

3. Search for file with content. (any applicaion e.g. Explorer, TotalCommander .....)

What happens when a user searched the file-server for a file with a specific content. Will this trigger a retrieval from the archive?

My worries are more or less: how can I avoid an unintentional retrieval of archived files.

4 REPLIES 4

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified

1. Backup (IBM Tivoli)

When Backup-system is scanning files to backup (changed/ new files). Will a scan of an archived file start a retrieval of the archived file from the archive-server/ storage?

With Tivoli the version that we are currently using, you can configure it to skip Offline files.

2. Antivirus (Trend Micro)

When AV is scanning files, will this start a retrieval of the archived files? (have read about the exclusion of files etc. but did not get the exact answer I was looking for.

If your antivirus cannot be configured to skipp Offline files, than you can set EV not to recall archived content when it is called from that service or application.

3. Search for file with content. (any applicaion e.g. Explorer, TotalCommander .....)

What happens when a user searched the file-server for a file with a specific content. Will this trigger a retrieval from the archive?

Any content that is archived by EV has a placeholder left behind, this placeholder is marked as offline content. The only option to allow explorer to locate the document and possible retrieve it is through the "Tape backup" Option of search. If a person selects this option and searches the contents of the archived documents, then yes it will retrieve the documents in the search area. But Symantec has provided us with some registry settings that we can allow only a specified number of recalls per a given time period by an application. That allows you to set up only 5 recalls every 60 seconds. That sounds nice until you realize that setting also dictates that you cannot copy the folders as coping folders triggers a recall of the messages contained in that folder.

We have decided to not use the registry settings and hope that our users do not realize that the "Tape Backup" option exists. If we notice a large amount of recalls we will have to revisit this.

Junior_B
Level 4

There is a registry setting called ExcludedExes that will help control program access to archive items. Any exe added to this list will not be allowed to recall the item if it "touches" the placeholder. We had Trend Micro previously and this post helped alot:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=106&message.id=4142&query.id=7508141#M4142

Our backup application did not have an Offline File setting, so it's processes were added to the ExcludedExes list as well.

Lance is correct about the Content Search. If users find the Tape Backup option it can be a pain. Is this a major requirement for you? If so you may want to look at some Enterprise Search products that support Federated Search. They can be configured to query the EV Indexes directly. We are about to do this with Sharepoint 2007.

Staun
Level 3

Hi Lance,

1. With Tivoli the version that we are currently using, you can configure it to skip Offline files.

We have been looking for this option. Where is this setting located?

2. Skip offline-files.

Not really sure how to exclude offline files yet. Must mention we have not started archiving yet, since we don't know what happens with the questions we are unsure about. Does these offline files have a specific .extension?. We are planning to use stub-files (not html-links to the files) at least that we have read us to.

Hi Junior B

The ExcludeExe sounds like a good option, just don't like the part

"During backup, archived files are recalled. Using ExcludedExe I've excluded all of the backup and AV exes, but I'm still seeing EVPlaceholder.exe hitting files in FileMon and backups are still slow. "

Do you know if this is an issue with EV version 8.0

well it sounds like the search-issue is something (risk) we have to live with

Junior_B
Level 4

"During backup, archived files are recalled. Using ExcludedExe I've excluded all of the backup and AV exes, but I'm still seeing EVPlaceholder.exe hitting files in FileMon and backups are still slow. "

If you read a bit further down he comes back and says all is OK because he has added the full list of Trend process's that touch files. I used that full list and had no problem.

It is a bit of a learning curve as to what to exlude. We found that sometime files are moved with Robocopy, so we had to exclude that as well (whilst telling the robocopier that they are now only copying stubs ;)).

BTW - offline files do not have a specific extension, they have an offline attribute. This is how programs detect them as offline.