cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programmatically import PSTs into EV

developer
Level 2
I have a C# app that "processes" PST files and creates new PSTs as output.  We now have a need to to load that output directly into EV.  Is it possible to to load individual messages into EV as I process them, or am I limited to importing the entire output PST upon completion?  In either case, what API will I need to look at and what is the basic process?  If there are any examples to be had, those would be helpfull as well.  The SDK I received did not include any.
Thanks for your input.
8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

You should be able to do so via the ECM (Enterprise Content Management) API.
I think it is described in the SDK.

However, I think ECM / API has to be licensed...

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

developer
Level 2
Thanks.  Yes, my company has a license.  I got the SDK and EV installs directly from this site.

In addition to the above questions, I'd like to know how PST imports (at the file level) are handled.  My app is a multi-threaded, load-balancing (multiple machine) agent.  As each PST completes, and I make a call to import that file, will the PST be broken up locally and the info sent to the vault, or will the server to all the heavy lifting?

MichelZ
Level 6
The Server will do all the processing of the PST File.

developer
Level 2
Ah, well that's unfortunate.  Are the call synchronous?  I.E, does each call wait on the completion status?  Or, does each call imediately return as the items are simply thrown in a queue?

Thanks

MichelZ
Level 6
Wait, let's clear some things here.

How would you do the import? Using EVPM?
Or are we now talking about single Item import?

Cheers

developer
Level 2
The goal is to import each item as it becomes available (through the API), rather than waiting for the entire batch to finish.  I will be making multiple, possibly symultanious calls to import files.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I think you have two options ..

1)
If you have already processed these original PSTs and have new ones output already, then you can use either server side or client side migration from Enterprise Vault, or use the VAC to import them.

2)
If you intend to process the original PSTs item by item and create new PSTs then as you process each individual item in the source PST, you could use the ECM API to pump the message in to EV at the same time as you drop the new message in to the new PST.

Working for cloudficient.com

MichelZ
Level 6
I think the ECM API does it's work asynchronously.

But to be sure, I think you would have to open a call with SYMC.
(or just try it out....)

Cheers