Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question?

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In Exchange DAG environment;

I have 3 exch. and 3 system mailbox.

In daily failover and move operation ,all of the system mailboxes goes to 1st node second and third node have just user mbxs

-In this senario ,2. and 3 . server archiving still using with 2. and 3 system mbxs? (i think it cause performance problem and sends warning to event logs)

Question is;

3 exch server,3 sysmbx ,3  exch mbx task in VAC

if all of the mbx's goes to 1.st server 2.and 3. is empty then;

2. and 3 rd mbx archiving task is still responsible for their own mbxs?

All of the mbxs are goes to 1.node, but 2. and 3. rd exch target tasks are located in other tasks.

what are the risks and ,performance lost?

These are known and daily operations in DAG environment.

thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

This is called cross talk. As long as EV has all the exchange servers defined as targets and a system mailbox existed at time of task creation on each of the exchange servers you won't have an issue.

example:

Exch1 has DB1 with User1a & User1b

Exch2 has DB2 with User2a & User2b

Exch 3 is DR

2 EV servers

DAG1 contains DB1 & DAG2 contains DB2. 

Exch1 is primary for Dag1 & copy of DAG2 & Exch2 is primary for DAG2 and copy of DAG1. Exch3 has copies of DAG1 & DAG2.

Setup:

1. Create 3 system mailboxes.  2 in DB1 (sysmbx_exch1 & sysmbx_exch3) & 1 in DB2 (sysmbx_exch2)

Note: Technically you do NOT need a system mailbox for Exch3 but I like to keep servers\sys mailboxes consistent.

2. Create Target\task for Exch1 & Exch2. EV1 = Exch1, EV2=Exch2

3. Fail DAG1 to Exch3

4. Create Target\task for Exch3

5. Fail DAG1 back to Exch1

6. Enable archiving for all four users.

Users 1a & 1b "Home" ev server is EV1

Users 2a & 2vb "Home ev server is EV2

Result: If Exch2 fails to Exch3 (or Exch1) than EV2 will communicate with Users via EV1 task but indexing and archiving stay on EV2.  Performance impact is minor.  If mailboxes are moved permanently than I would recommend moving archiving to corresponding EV server\Vault Store.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JosephRodgers
Level 4

EV connects via CAS servers for E2k10 (sp1+).  Assuming the sys mailboxes existed in mailstores on all 3 servers at time of creation of the archiving tasks than there should be no issues.  The CAS server will direct EV to the correct server.  If a DAG moves the mailboxes the Provisioning task will update EV.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In this senario if i have 1 ev server is ok. all of the archives stores in same ev server,and all of the exchange tasks located on same evserver.

what about for larger environment and i have 3 evserver 6 exch server each of evserver has 2.

if i move mbx from 1 exch to onether then evserver can be changed also!(because related exchange task may be located on onether evserver.)

so this user archive is still on old server but task is located on new evserver.

what is your suggestion now?

thanks...

JosephRodgers
Level 4

This is called cross talk. As long as EV has all the exchange servers defined as targets and a system mailbox existed at time of task creation on each of the exchange servers you won't have an issue.

example:

Exch1 has DB1 with User1a & User1b

Exch2 has DB2 with User2a & User2b

Exch 3 is DR

2 EV servers

DAG1 contains DB1 & DAG2 contains DB2. 

Exch1 is primary for Dag1 & copy of DAG2 & Exch2 is primary for DAG2 and copy of DAG1. Exch3 has copies of DAG1 & DAG2.

Setup:

1. Create 3 system mailboxes.  2 in DB1 (sysmbx_exch1 & sysmbx_exch3) & 1 in DB2 (sysmbx_exch2)

Note: Technically you do NOT need a system mailbox for Exch3 but I like to keep servers\sys mailboxes consistent.

2. Create Target\task for Exch1 & Exch2. EV1 = Exch1, EV2=Exch2

3. Fail DAG1 to Exch3

4. Create Target\task for Exch3

5. Fail DAG1 back to Exch1

6. Enable archiving for all four users.

Users 1a & 1b "Home" ev server is EV1

Users 2a & 2vb "Home ev server is EV2

Result: If Exch2 fails to Exch3 (or Exch1) than EV2 will communicate with Users via EV1 task but indexing and archiving stay on EV2.  Performance impact is minor.  If mailboxes are moved permanently than I would recommend moving archiving to corresponding EV server\Vault Store.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have 4 ev nodes, 8 exchange servers and 20.000 mbx users.

I live same problem everytime.

Your last sentence our solution i know i also tested before;

" I would recommend moving archiving to corresponding EV server\Vault Store."

In every exchange move operation (maybe there are over thousands of user) user archiving task and evserver changes.

Then after private queue operation MSMQ outgoing queue is working to transfer moved exch user archived items to corresponding evserver and archive.

This process cause alot of problem,pending items,slow trasfering and working outgoing queues etc..

I couldnt check how many users moved to other exch. everytime.

And i couldnt move every exch. moved user archive to corresponding ev server.

So this issue should be more easy in EV environment!

Do you have any idea?

thanks...

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks...