"Partition is not empty" error when trying to delete partition

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

Environment is 9.0.2

Error is this one:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56329

Storage is Centera in Governance mode.

I have a vault store, dedicated database and partition which I want to delete. The data is test only. On the Centera side, there is a dedicated pool for this vault store.

Trying to delete the partition via the VAC results in: Unable to delete partition "Partition_Name". The partition is not empty.

What's the cleanest way to delete this? All the data is test only.

Can I simply delete the vault store database, which will then delete the partition as well? Sharing is not enabled on the vault store, but enable device level sharing is enabled on the partition. I would also like to delete the Centera data, but want to ensure that SIS on the Centera side is not messed up by doing this.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So basically you can't delete the partition because as the error says, there are items and data still in the vault store. You have to delete all archives or all items within that partition first and then you can delete the vault store.

When you delete the vault store, it will remove the database.
If you have archives that span Vault Store Partitions, then you would have to use Storage Expiry to remove all the old items for the partition to be deleted.

But yeah, run the following query, it will tell you what Archives have savesets in that vault store, delete the archives, then you will have an empty partition, that will allow you to delete the vault store and the database will be removed

SELECT A.ArchiveName "Archive Name",
       COUNT(S.IdTransaction) "Archived Items"
FROM   EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Archive A,
       EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root R
       EVVSYourVaultStore_01.dbo.ArchivePoint AP,
       EVVSYourVaultStore_01.dbo.Saveset S
WHERE  S.ArchivePointIdentity = AP.ArchivePointIdentity
       AND AP.ArchivePointId = R.VaultEntryId
       AND R.RootIdentity = A.RootIdentity
GROUP BY A.ArchiveName
ORDER BY A.ArchiveName

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Delete all the archives on that vault store, then delete the partition, then the vault store

goatboy
Level 6
Thanks JW. Does deleting the vault store automatically delete the associated database?

JesusWept3
Level 6

So basically you can't delete the partition because as the error says, there are items and data still in the vault store. You have to delete all archives or all items within that partition first and then you can delete the vault store.

When you delete the vault store, it will remove the database.
If you have archives that span Vault Store Partitions, then you would have to use Storage Expiry to remove all the old items for the partition to be deleted.

But yeah, run the following query, it will tell you what Archives have savesets in that vault store, delete the archives, then you will have an empty partition, that will allow you to delete the vault store and the database will be removed

SELECT A.ArchiveName "Archive Name",
       COUNT(S.IdTransaction) "Archived Items"
FROM   EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Archive A,
       EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root R
       EVVSYourVaultStore_01.dbo.ArchivePoint AP,
       EVVSYourVaultStore_01.dbo.Saveset S
WHERE  S.ArchivePointIdentity = AP.ArchivePointIdentity
       AND AP.ArchivePointId = R.VaultEntryId
       AND R.RootIdentity = A.RootIdentity
GROUP BY A.ArchiveName
ORDER BY A.ArchiveName

goatboy
Level 6

Much appreciated, that partition has a single archive in it so should be painless. I'll need to check with out Storage people that there is no SIS implication with deleting the associated Centera pool, given that it's a separate pool I assume no issues.

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This query is missing a comma after EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root R