cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing FSA Agent

mghomer
Level 6

Hi all,

we have moved some archived data to a new server.

After that i have confgured the new server in the vault ind installed the FSA Agent.

At least i have retrieved all data from the archive.

Now I would like to remove the FSA Agent from this server (2008 R2).

What is the best way to do that? and do I have to do anything on the evault server as well?

We are running eVault 9.0.1

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

When you Uninstall the EV FSA Agent the mini filter driver (evfilter) will be removed, there is no need to edit the registry if you uninstall the FSA Agent.

In addition we do have a good whitepaper that covers:

• Migrating and Consolidating File Servers with Enterprise Vault:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147519

If you are decomissioning the EV server or site that archived this file server you should uninstall the EV FSA Agent.

Thank you,

Andrew

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can uninstall the FSA Agent from a Windows file server by using the Add or Remove Programs facility in the Windows Control Panel.

You install the FSA Agent on a Windows file server if you want to use placeholder shortcuts, File Blocking, or FSA Reporting with the file server.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Steps to disable the File System Archiving (FSA) agent:

1. Restart the server in 'Safe mode'

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

2. Open the Registry Editor (i.e. Start > Run > Regedt32)

3. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

4. Locate the following sub keys: evfilter

5. Change the 'Start' value (in the right-hand pane) for each of these keys from '2' to '3'

6. Restart the server and boot to normal mode.

7. Verify that the server is starting and running normally.

mghomer
Level 6

so it is not enough to uninstall it i have to edit the registry? 

PS. do I need to remove it if we gonna shutdown our eVault server for ever? I mean it should not produce any errors on my server 2008 r2 or Im wrong?

Thanks!

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

When you Uninstall the EV FSA Agent the mini filter driver (evfilter) will be removed, there is no need to edit the registry if you uninstall the FSA Agent.

In addition we do have a good whitepaper that covers:

• Migrating and Consolidating File Servers with Enterprise Vault:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147519

If you are decomissioning the EV server or site that archived this file server you should uninstall the EV FSA Agent.

Thank you,

Andrew

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

It' great new that this issue is resolved.

I also provided same thing in my first steps "You can uninstall the FSA Agent from a Windows file server by using the Add or Remove Programs facility in the Windows Control Panel."

And provided additional information about the disabling FSA agent if you wish to not uninstalling but want to disable.