cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating policy on existing backup task

matthewking
Level 3

For our current exchange archiving task, we want to enable 'update archive location for items moved in the mailbox'.  If we do this will it actually update all the archives with the current view of the user's mailbox?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Matthew,

The impact will be less, but if EV needs to do all the archives, it is going to be a pain. What I would do is below:

I am not sure where the setting is, I believe in the mailbox policy. Create a new mbx policy, enable 'update location in archive'. disable that setting in the original policy.

Create an additional provisioning group. Place this group above your default PG. Give it the same values you have for your default PG, but use the new mbx policy. Add a few users to this PG (use a DL, or add them manually). Run provisioning, sync mailboxes, run archiving task. Monitor.

This way, you can throttle the amount of mailboxes being actioned by that option. You'll be addin more and more mailboxes to the new PG, and eventually have all done. Or, if you like living dangerously, enable the setting on the existing policy, and see what happens when it kicks off.

Regards.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

So you found the setting :)

Remark: You use backup where as you need to use archive.

Yes it will, but only for the items which still have a shortcut in the mailbox!

Items for which no shortcut exists (as said, either manually deleted by user, or automatically removed bu EV (shortcut expiry)), it is not possible to update the location of the item in the archive.

<edit> Be advised that you have to closely monitor both SQL and EV when you enable and run this. In the early versions both took a massive hit on performance, due to the (probable) high amount of data needing updating.

Regards. Gertjan

thanks for your replies.  If we are on EV version 10.0.4.1189, will we still have a large impact on server performance?

GertjanA

Hello Matthew,

The impact will be less, but if EV needs to do all the archives, it is going to be a pain. What I would do is below:

I am not sure where the setting is, I believe in the mailbox policy. Create a new mbx policy, enable 'update location in archive'. disable that setting in the original policy.

Create an additional provisioning group. Place this group above your default PG. Give it the same values you have for your default PG, but use the new mbx policy. Add a few users to this PG (use a DL, or add them manually). Run provisioning, sync mailboxes, run archiving task. Monitor.

This way, you can throttle the amount of mailboxes being actioned by that option. You'll be addin more and more mailboxes to the new PG, and eventually have all done. Or, if you like living dangerously, enable the setting on the existing policy, and see what happens when it kicks off.

Regards.

Regards. Gertjan