cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from 10.0.1 to 10.0.3

goof717
Level 5

hello.  thanks for the time and effort.  we are planning to upgrade evault from 10.0.1 to 10.0.3.  I have done it in a lab environment and it went pretty smooth and no real hiccups.  the only question i have is that in production the databases are a lot larger ...will that take up a lot of time for the upgrade? thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Usually still only a few minutes to do the DB side of the upgrade.

I imagine that your production SQL server is a lot higher spec than your lab one?  So bigger database but bigger server = similar time.

How big, is big?

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

What is the size of the production databases? One of the recommendations before upgrading the databases is to take a DB backup and change the recovery model in SQL to Simple since that change will improve the upgrade speed and reduces the log file growth. Just remember to change the recovery model back to Full once the upgrade is completed.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It's difficult to answer the timeframe for upgrade for database & depends environment to environment, based on observation from some of consulant, it has been seen that upgrade could take 25 min for 15GB EV Directory DB & 20 min for 80GB VaultStore DB. I would like to go with suggestion what Gabe gave to take a DB backup and change the recovery model to Simple to speed up upgrade process and reduces the log file growth and then change the recovery model back to Full once the upgrade is completed. Also make sure your watchfile table becomes 0 after completion of your storage backup.

goof717
Level 5

thank you all for the quick responses.  the total db size is ~325GB.

Putting the recovery model does speed up the process?  I thought it was more for so that logs file won't need to grow.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

And by transaction lots not being needed ....  you will speed up the upgrade process.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx

The question is 'by how much'.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do you need anything else on this issue?

goof717
Level 5

the only other question i have is there a specific order that i should follow as to which systems to upgrade first.

we have a Discovery Accelerator.  File Archive. Mail archive.

and how do i give credit to everyone for the answer?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have DA, you need to upgrade DA first, then EV, either file archive or mail archive. Just check the upgrade guide and you will find it.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Is anything else needed on this thread? If not then perhaps mark one or more of the threads that were most helpful as the solution.