cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

users can't choose a Retention Category

jordanatwork
Level 3

We're running EV 8.0.4.1991.

According to the documentation, users are able to choose a retention category when they archive an item. In addition to the default retention category (forever), I've created a second one. Both are marked as Visible to the users in the Admin Console. Several runs of both the Provisioning task and Mailbox Archiving task, including manually initiating a Synchronization, have happened, and still when a user clicks on the "Store in Vault" icon on the EV toolbar in Outlook, it just marks it as pending without prompting them in any way. The item gets archived the next time the Mailbox Archiving task runs.

Am I missing something? I've been all over the documentation and can't figure out why users aren't being presented a choice of retention category.

Also, are users able to change the retention category once an item has been archived? I don't see any way for them to do that, even though I have two different retention categories.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the setting is called Outlook Add-In Behavior and you want it set to Normal.

it's on the Advanced tab, make sure you are listing settings from Outlook

if you want to change the retention of an archived item you can either restore it and archive with the new retention OR you can move it to a folder that has the new retention category set if you have that feature enabled.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Two things:

1) this requires the full (DCOM) client extensions

2) There is a setting the in Desktop settings to enable the full client

jordanatwork
Level 3

Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "full (DCOM) client extensions"? I've installed the Outlook add-in (Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in-en.msi) on the client machine. Is there something else that needs to be installed or enabled?

I don't see anything in the desktop settings about a full client. I'm looking under (Site)\Policies\Exchange\Desktop. Is that where you're talking about?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the setting is called Outlook Add-In Behavior and you want it set to Normal.

it's on the Advanced tab, make sure you are listing settings from Outlook

if you want to change the retention of an archived item you can either restore it and archive with the new retention OR you can move it to a folder that has the new retention category set if you have that feature enabled.