cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

users cannot unarchive mail - database EnterpriseVaultMonitoring too big (Events 1827, 1105)

hagman
Level 3

Users cannot unarchive mail any more.

When I checked on the server, there seem to have been problems related to the EnterpriseVaultMonitoring databse:

CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database.

Restarting services or ultimately restarting the whole server did not help. On the contrary, meanwhile I cannot start the admin console anymore (it just sticks at the rotating wheels saying "Connecting to servername ...")

My fear and somewhat obvious guess is that the monitoring database might have gone corrupted in one way or other. How can I get access to my gazillions of past mails again?

---

UPDATE:

Meanwhile I managed to start the admin console again - after a restore of the EnterpriseVaultMonitoring database.

However, unarchiving is still not possible as even the restord database version suffers from these problems:

Event 1827 : CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database.

Event 1105 : Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.ServiceMonitoringHistory'.'PK_ServiceMonitoringHistory' in database 'EnterpriseVaultMonitoring' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

How could I overcome theses problems? (Apart from uplicensing, if possible)

Is there a safe way to reduce dbo.ServiceMonitoringHistory in size? (Significantly and permanently?)

Regards

Hagen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you are using sql server express then you'll need to upgrade to the full version to get supprt for larger databases.

if your issue is only with the monitoring database then see this technote:

Symantec Enterprise Vault: Housekeeping for the Monitoring database

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hagman
Level 3

(comment has now been edited into the OP)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you are using sql server express then you'll need to upgrade to the full version to get supprt for larger databases.

if your issue is only with the monitoring database then see this technote:

Symantec Enterprise Vault: Housekeeping for the Monitoring database

hagman
Level 3

Thanks, that is already getting close.

The script EVOMDB_7_PurgeJob.sql cannot run successfully because SQL Express comes without SQL Server Agent. But the job that the scribt wants to install seems to consist of a sole line `exec PurgeHistory`. Manually running the query

use EnterpriseVaultMonitoring

exec PurgeHistory

took about an hour and at least did a lot of cleanup:

(6202920 row(s) affected)

(0 row(s) affected)

(459480 row(s) affected)

(0 row(s) affected)

(1448941 row(s) affected)

(0 row(s) affected)

(0 row(s) affected)

(Mental note: Create a scheduled task in Windows accordingly)

It seems that the Monitoring database is happy again, at least there are no more errors related to it clogging the event log.

There still seem to be problems with evault de-archiving, though. But since the preconsditions have changed significantly, I suppose I accept your comment as solution to the concrete problem in this thread and - after looking more into it - possibly shall open a new thread with the new and different symptons.