Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using NetApp CIFS as vault store partition

adebola24
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

we have a customer with EV 9 with current vault store partitions residing on iSCSI LUNs presented from a NetApp filer

what are your thoughts / recommendations for using a CIFS share for any subsequent partitions ? OR

using a new iSCSI LUN with the NetApp device performing the DeDupe and Compression rather than EV

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Personally, I would go with CIFS, as for me this is more manageable than iSCSI on a NetApp device.
I don't think the NetApp will perform bette on DeDedupe and compression as EV itself though.

So in short: Use CIFS with DeDeup and Compression enabled in EV, not on NetApp.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6

Personally, I would go with CIFS, as for me this is more manageable than iSCSI on a NetApp device.
I don't think the NetApp will perform bette on DeDedupe and compression as EV itself though.

So in short: Use CIFS with DeDeup and Compression enabled in EV, not on NetApp.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree with MichelZ.  Whilst there are a variety of choices, go with the 'simple' route.  EV has some nice reports that might show up some good data for you too.

Working for cloudficient.com

Dead-Data
Level 5

I concur,

If you are using Single Instance Storage within EV, i.e. have enabled Sharing within Group or Vault store, then don't enable NetApp Dedup and Compression.