cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows & instant search issues in Windows Seven

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello,

I meet issues using windows search (Windows Seven) and instant search (Outlook 2007)to find messages archived with EV in Virtual Vault (Server and clients are 9.0.1).

1- The first issue is that results found using Windows Search are not appearing in Instant Search.

If I search for a word in a mail using WS, I'll get results but if I search the same word using IS, I don't get any result. In fact, I can't search for archived items in VV using Outlook Instant Search.

Is this issue related to EV or Windows? Do you have already met this case?

2- When I use WS to find archived mail items, the result are duplicated, some are with the Outlook message icon (those from Virtual Vault), the others are the results from the Vault Cache (those with the shortcut icon).

Is this a normal behavior?

3- When using Windows Search, it appears that only the first words of each field is searched. By example, if I search for a word in the body of an archived item, if the word is at the beginning of the body, it will be found, if not, the message will not be found.

Is there a way to change this behavior?

Many thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What it sounds like is, is that you don't have instant search set to search through your Virtual Vault correctly.

Vault Cache and Virtual Vault are made up of two pieces
The MetaData Cache and the Content Cache

The MetaData Cache is an MDC File (which is in a PST Format) that contains all the emails and folder structure dictated by EV, its the same structure you would see in outlook, it has a copy of each message minus the attachments.

The Content Cache are dozens of DB Files (also in a PST Format) separated in to date ranges and have the full messages including attachments.

When you open up Virtual Vault you see the structure and messages held in the MDC, when you click an item to preview it you will see the preview as held in the MDC file, when you open up the message, it is then retrieved from the DB file and displayed as a message within outlook.

So when you search through Windows Search, it most likely has both the MDC and the DB file indexed, so that when you do a search for an item, it brings back the MDC result and the DB result, giving you 2 hits instead of one, because really there are 2 copies of the email stored (though the MDC version won't have attachments and what not)

In Outlook, under the Instant Search Options you will have to select the data files to search, in this case you should be presented with any PST's currently attached within outlook and the Virtual Vault itself, which is the MDC only.

A lot of Companies and Exchange Administrators though may lock this down due to the fact that if it is set up incorrectly, it trawls through the Exchange stores, causes all sorts of overhead.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What it sounds like is, is that you don't have instant search set to search through your Virtual Vault correctly.

Vault Cache and Virtual Vault are made up of two pieces
The MetaData Cache and the Content Cache

The MetaData Cache is an MDC File (which is in a PST Format) that contains all the emails and folder structure dictated by EV, its the same structure you would see in outlook, it has a copy of each message minus the attachments.

The Content Cache are dozens of DB Files (also in a PST Format) separated in to date ranges and have the full messages including attachments.

When you open up Virtual Vault you see the structure and messages held in the MDC, when you click an item to preview it you will see the preview as held in the MDC file, when you open up the message, it is then retrieved from the DB file and displayed as a message within outlook.

So when you search through Windows Search, it most likely has both the MDC and the DB file indexed, so that when you do a search for an item, it brings back the MDC result and the DB result, giving you 2 hits instead of one, because really there are 2 copies of the email stored (though the MDC version won't have attachments and what not)

In Outlook, under the Instant Search Options you will have to select the data files to search, in this case you should be presented with any PST's currently attached within outlook and the Virtual Vault itself, which is the MDC only.

A lot of Companies and Exchange Administrators though may lock this down due to the fact that if it is set up incorrectly, it trawls through the Exchange stores, causes all sorts of overhead.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello Jesus,

Many, many thanks for your explanation! It remembers me something I read a long time ago...

I checked in Instant Search options in the box "Index messages in these data files" and both my mailbox and my vault are ticked"

Then, I should be able to search in my vault but it doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello,

Any idea about this behavior?

Thank you

masthi
Not applicable

Hi Jesus,

I am having same issues mentioned by Zenick but when I looked in Enterprise Vault folder in User\Local settings, I could able to see only DB files & no MetaData Cache but I could able to see lots of XML files being generated. Is this expected behaviour?

Also how to set Instant search to Virtual Vault? I didnt see the option? Did you mean that to add KVS folder to Windows Serach for indexing? Please clarifiy

Regards

Masthan

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello,

I didn't find any solution for this issue.

My problem is that I can't find any item archived in Virtual Vault using Outlook Instant Search.

Did someone met this problem when using Outlook Instant Search?

Thank you for your help.

ZeNick
Level 4

Hello,

Just for information, I still meet the issue but I've narrowed the problem.

If I uncheck/recheck the Vault in Instant search options, it will be re-indexed and then I'm able to use instant search with the vault, until the problem appears again.

Each time the problem appears, the following event id appears in the application log:

The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-2139493591-172588965-2079600828-1997}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

A server error occurred. Check that the server is available. (HRESULT : 0x80041206) (0x80041206)

Any idea about this?

thanks again,