cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Security Task Force?

Hegelian
Not applicable
Good evening all,

I am currently researching regulation in community/citizen scientist biotechnology and the difficulties involved with regulating an industry once it is in the hands of the citizenry, and lately I have been considering a slightly different approach that could potentially avoid this problem.  I have been drawing from examples in the computer industry (especially for the open-source trend) and remembered Symantec's response to the Conficker virus.  My understanding is that there is a group of programmers (forgive my ignorance, this is not my field at all!) that try to prevent viruses and respond to them as soon as they are discovered.  Is there a site at which I could access the specific policies under which these programmers operate? How about strategies (I know there is an instant update system in your antivirus tool, and I would imagine a notification system should I come across a truly novel virus that updates the information to these programmers, or is my speculation incorrect?).  There are some specifics I would like to compare with the possibility of implementing a "task force" of a similar nature in dealing with human viruses and biological threats posed by certain extremist groups. 

Thanks for your time,
-Ben.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aniket_Amdekar
Level 3
Similarly, symantec releases a rapid release definition which contains the latest of the virus signatures but they are not certified.
Symantec releases certified definitions 4 times a day. These definitions are certified.
That can be compared to the official launch of the antidote from the Bio Tech vendor.
Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the things in mentioned above or Bio industry. Otherwise it may look like comparing apples with oranges.
Cheers,
AniketFurther anlyzing the analogy, if a virus is widespread in an area and the Bio Company has crearted a fix. But it is not certified yet. However, considering the urgency of the matter it is made available.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Aniket_Amdekar
Level 3
Hi Ben,

I appreciate your out of box thinking.

Customers of Symantec all over the world submit suspecious file samples to Symantec has the Security Response team of symantec.

They open up the virus and determine the way to detect it in files.

After that a cure is created. It may include deletion of the file or removal of the virus strains in the file.

Considering your analogy with BioTech industry, I think a similar system must be in place as well. Where the Bio Vendors receive samples from across the globe, analyze it and then prepare a fix or a antidote.

Regards,
Aniket Amdekar

Aniket_Amdekar
Level 3
Similarly, symantec releases a rapid release definition which contains the latest of the virus signatures but they are not certified.
Symantec releases certified definitions 4 times a day. These definitions are certified.
That can be compared to the official launch of the antidote from the Bio Tech vendor.
Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the things in mentioned above or Bio industry. Otherwise it may look like comparing apples with oranges.
Cheers,
AniketFurther anlyzing the analogy, if a virus is widespread in an area and the Bio Company has crearted a fix. But it is not certified yet. However, considering the urgency of the matter it is made available.