cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPS toolbar is missing

Rowlf
Not applicable
a while back I installed the new version of Firefox and my IPS toolbar went missing so I uninstalled the newer version and went back to the old, and when I did that my IPS toolbar came back. However, it recently happened again, I just updated thinking that maybe they'd fixed the issues with new version by now, I was wrong.

pls help

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong section the product guide is...confusing
22 REPLIES 22

Thomas_K
Level 6
What Symantec product are you having issues with? Can you provide a screenshot on the IPS toolbar?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas_K
Level 6
There is a hotfix available for Norton users. The solution can be found on the Norton community here:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=61120&jump=true

Cheers,
Thomas

WellnessDave
Level 3
I just installed Norton Internet Security 2010, and found that the Norton Toolbar is no longer visible with Firefox 3.5.3.  I've run LiveUpdate until it finds no more updates.  I can't find a fix.  Is there one in the works?

Thomas_K
Level 6
@ WellnessDave, Was your install of NIS 2010 an upgrade or new install? If an upgrade, did you install that "overtop" of NIS 2009 or did you remove NIS 2009 first?

WellnessDave
Level 3
I uninstalled NIS 2009 and then installed NIS 2010.  I forgot to mention that the toolbar works fine with Internet Explorer 8.0, it just doesn't work with FireFox.  I dislike Internet Explorer, so it's important to me to have it working on FireFox.

Thomas_K
Level 6
Hi Dave,

Check out this thread on the Norton Community.
http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=74637&query.id=1482278#M74637

Try the solution that Jens provided, then let me know the outcome.

Best,
Thomas

WellnessDave
Level 3
Hi Thomas,

I completed the steps offered by Jens, and it did not solve the problem in the three profiles we use.  Just before completing those steps I had upgraded to the FireFox 3.5.4 version that became available this morning, hoping it might include a solution, but it did not.  In fact, after I made Jens suggested changes, when I click on Tool/Add-ons, to check for updates, there is an entry under Norton Toolbar 4.0 that states "Not compatible with FireFox 3.5.4

By the way, in the list of FireFox Add-ons I also have and add-on for Norton IPS 2.0.  Is that an older version I should delete?

Thomas_K
Level 6
Dave,

Have you tried uninstalling Firefox then install 3.5.3?

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=76781&query.id=1708800#M76781

Welfarebob
Not applicable
why would we want to downgrade? why cant you just upgrade the addon?

Thomas_K
Level 6
It worked for the user in the Norton Forum. It may be a pain but it may be worth uninstalling firefox completely, then installing the current version. What other add-ons are you running on Firefox?

Thomas

ramonh77
Level 2
I am also having the same problem with Firefox 3.5.4. I did un-install it and re-installed, but the problem is still there. I also tried deleting the three   extensions.* files with no succcess.

The "Norton IPS 2.0" seems to be fine, but the "Norton Toolbar 4.0" is either:
  1. "This add-on will be installed then Firefox is restarted", this was before I deleted the  extensions.* files or after I restored them and no matter how many times I re-start Firefox, it does not change; or
  2. "Not compatible with FireFox 3.5.4", this one show after I delete the three extensions.* files.
Anyone any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

WellnessDave
Level 3
Yesterday I uninstalled FireFox 3.5.4 and then installed 3.5.3, and the Norton Toolbar still does not work.  When I uninstalled, I chose to keep my personal data so I wouldn't have to backup and restore bookmarks. 

Later today I will backup bookmarks, and perform a complete uninstall (including all personal data).  I will then reinstall an older version of FireFox and see if that resolves the issue.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Thomas_K
Level 6
 Symantec is aware of the issue,
see the last post on the first page of this thread.
http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=83448

Dave, if your attempt of reinstalling fails, you will have to wait for Norton to provide an NIS update.

Best,
Thomas

WellnessDave
Level 3
Thomas,

I went all out and uninstalled FireFox 3.5.4, including all personal files.  I then completed completely clean installations of the following FireFox versions:

In each case the Norton Toolbar 4.0 gave a message saying that particular version of FireFox is incompatible with Norton Toolbar 4.0.  So, I guess I'll just have to wait for Symantec to come up with a fix.

Dave

ramonh77
Level 2
Hi There,

Any progress on this? 

My Norton Toolbar 4.0 is still not working... :(

Ramon

Thomas_K
Level 6
No update for NIS yet. Keep checking the Norton community for updates on this issue.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=nis_feedback

Best,
Thomas

moonlite
Not applicable
Any updates?

Thomas_K
Level 6
There was an update released on 11/9, please see thread -
http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=85746

What are the changes in this release?

- Corrected an issue with Quarantined files that occasionally prevent upgrading to 17.0 from older products.
- Updated Norton Insight to enhance its effectiveness.
- Corrected a forum reported issue regarding Exclusions and Help information.
- Fixed several licensing related WinQual reported errors.
- Corrected an issue with upgrading from 2009 to 2010.
- Corrected an issue with FireFox 3.5.3 to make sure the toolbar is shown.
- Corrected a Performance UI 1 day view issue so that details are correctly being viewed on the UI when a user selects activities.
- Corrected an issue that could produce a Blue Screen under certain conditions.
- Fixed issue relating to handle leak in ccSvcHst.exe.

- Corrected an issue where the Norton Toolbar was missing in Firefox.

Best,
Thomas

WellnessDave
Level 3
I have the latest level of Norton Internet Security 2010, Version 17.1.0.19, but the Norton Toolbar still doesn't show up with FireFox 3.5.5.  What do I need to do next?