cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxthon Browser Review Required

deepak_vasudeva
Level 6
I came across a browser called Maxthon sometime back. I use it for occasional browsing but I am still not confident in using it against my corporate webmail or banking websites because the servers that Maxthon uses are in China.  Also the browser seems to be making a webservice call to the server on startup and periodically for general security updates.

I would like to know if Symantec has a review about this tool and/or a Symantec expert could review the tool to see what information it actually passes from the desktop client to the server at intervals. The files of Maxthon themselves are clean and do  not contain any infections of any type.

5 REPLIES 5

Rafeeq
Level 4

deepak_vasudeva
Level 6
Hi Rafeeq,

Thanks for the site suggestion (Norton Safeweb). I would like to draw your attention to this URL (http://wiki.maxthon.com/index.php/General_FAQs). This is what my concern is. See the other forum URL here: http://forum.maxthon.com/viewthread.php?tid=77894

Thomas_K
Level 6

As I said in your other post, this is not a supported browser. Deepak why did you start another thread on this issue?

deepak_vasudeva
Level 6
>>As I said in your other post, this is not a supported browser. Deepak why did you start another thread on this issue?
Cycletech,

This is not regarding SymConnect or any performance issue.  I  have been trying to evaluate this browser since it seemed to provide more effective precautions like (1)Sandbox (2) Popup Blockers. I did test-visit it with my installations on a few popup-laden websites like IndiaTimes, Rediff, Sulekha and it was able to block popups.

WSG certified that the site is clean. But fiddler showed that is trying to send webservice requests on startup to its parent server. Hence I thought I would take expert assistance by starting a thread to see if there was any embedded spyware.

The earlier thread was totally towards SymConnect performance and adhering to your guidelines I am clinging onto FF for Sym websites. I admit I don't directly use IE with Internet websites in my box for fear of ActiveX driven infections.

Thomas_K
Level 6
Does this issue relate to any Symantec product or service? What Symantec products do you use?