cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Uninstall Symantec Client Security 9.0.0.338 & Live Update 2.0

Bonnie3158
Not applicable

Can anyone please help me to uninstall Symantec Client Security 9.0.0.338 & Live Update 2.0?  A password is required (attempted "symantec"), so I can't uninstall it.  Thanks!  Bonnie  PS My nephew passed on, so I don't have any info about the program etc.

6 REPLIES 6

Thomas_K
Level 6
Use a client uninstallation password
It is possible to configure the client component of Symantec AntiVirus to request a password before allowing a user to uninstall it. By default, this feature is enabled, but often the password is not set by an administrator. When the client can communicate with the server, the password can be reset or disabled.

To require a password before uninstalling
  1. In the Symantec System Center console, right-click a server, a server group, or a client group, and then click All Tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Client Administrator Only Options.
  2. On the Security tab, check Ask for password to allow uninstall of Symantec AntiVirus Client.
  3. Click Change.
  4. In the Configure Password dialog box, type a new password, and then confirm by typing the password again.
  5. Click OK, and then click OK again.

If the client system needs to be uninstalled but can no longer communicate with the parent server, please contact Symantec Technical Support for assistance (Contact Technical Support -http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp).

See "Symantec System Center password management in Symantec Client Security 3.x and Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x" for detailed information -

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/0832c6cc670c4e1688256fe2000017d5?OpenDocument

Sorry for your loss,
Thomas

Frank019
Level 4
I don't remember where in the registry but there a entry for the password if you just remove it from the registry you can remove without password.

binayak
Level 4
Partner
It is absolutely possible to change the uninstallation password for Symantec client from Symantec System Center. Go to All Tasks --> Symantec Antivirus --> Client Administrator Only option. Go the Security tab and then check Ask for password to allow uninstall of Symantec AntiVirus Client. Click on the Change button and then assign a new password.

Hope this will solve your problem.

wuzfuzzy
Not applicable
  1. Open Registry Editor (regedit).
  2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Administrator Only\Security\

3. Change the value for useVPuninstallpassword key from 1 to 0.
  4. Exit Registry Editor and now you can uninstall Symantec AntiVirus Client.

The trick should work on most version of Symantec AntiVirus client or Norton AntiVirus Client, including version 7, 8, 9 or 10.
if it still asks use symantec for the password

or follow these instructions:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/1999120616094948?Open&seg=ent

Rafeeq
Level 4
when the uninstall is in progress, it will prompt for  a password
at that time open taskmanager
look for msiexec.exe, you will find 3 or 4 , running under system account
kill the one msiexec.exe running under administor name or currently logged in user name.
the uninstall will complete.

Bijay_Swain
Level 4

In Registry go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Administrator Only\Security\
Change the value of useVPuninstallpassword key from 1 to 0.

reboot the machine.
Now you can uninstall symantec.

Or
You can use Nonav to remove it.