cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling Symantec Win64 without password

chrisrny
Level 2

I have been trying to uninstall this product from my Laptop (Vista Ultimate). I no longer have the HP supplied disk and password. Can you tell me how to uninstall this software as it reinstalls even after a regedit.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

P_K_1
Level 4

Try this TAKE A BACKUP of the registry

Change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_exit_test from 1 to 0 prior to stopping the service.if smc requires a password

1. Stop the SMC service.

2. Delete the SmcInstData key located under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\

3. Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection uninstall

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Pawel_Lakomski1
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Do you use SEP 11? Is your client managed or unmanaged? do you have SEPM somewhere in your environment.

chrisrny
Level 2

The client is unmanaged. Did last year tie this laptop into a domain in NY at work but the firm is no more. That user inactive.

I am unfamiliar wirh SEP 11 or  SEPM but a friend from the same firm suggested that he had problems with End Point Protection on his laptop he had taken to work.

I see no evidence of them in the registry just the normal Symantec Antivirus entries.

Thomas_K
Level 6

Give this a try -

How to manually uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91038&locale=en_US

P_K_1
Level 4

Try this TAKE A BACKUP of the registry

Change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_exit_test from 1 to 0 prior to stopping the service.if smc requires a password

1. Stop the SMC service.

2. Delete the SmcInstData key located under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\

3. Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection uninstall