There may be a bug in Connect. Try logging out of your Connect account and logging back in. I have seen an issue with German language coming up on my system,. Logging out and back in seemed to clear the issue. I could not duplicate the problem after that.
"...Check the URL - had to take out reference to "de" within the path. Had quite a few other spurious issues like this previously for the same reason..."
I faced this problem too but now its fine now. One more thing i faced that when i was trying to write any BLOG or ARTICLE i did not find the BROWSE button but now this is also fixed. Those both things i faced after new version of Symantec forum
i found one more thing. Just not go to forums.symantec.com at the time of problem. just go to any post and thn from that location click on LOGIN and when get login you will see the English language :)