cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be "read."

BradyJB
Not applicable
I need help fixing this error.

I have already checked the forum for this error and noted that there was a similar post over a year ago that went unsolved.

I am running Norton Internet Security 16.7.2.10 plus add-on pack 3.7.0.19 under Windows XP Professional SP3.

This error keeps popping up about every 10 to 20 minutes.  I will then click on OK to terminate the program, and about 10 to 20 minutes later I will see the same error followed by a WinPatrol message alerting me to a suspicious event:  

%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 –u

I upgraded to NIS 2009 back around December 2008 and it has been running fine until a few days ago when this error started happening without rhyme or reason.

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

20 REPLIES 20

Tim_W
Not applicable
I also just started receiving errors re Symantec Service Framework ccSvcHst.exe

GeraldBrown
Level 2
Yep, I also have the same damn error - ccsvshst.exe application error and also something about not finding the memory location. It started right after the update. I've tried to debug - nothing, terminated the program - big mistake - Norten will not start up again, unless I reboot. I've read on other forums to try and get a patch from live update - live update does'nt start up... Support is so confusing to navigate through, I'd rather wait for some sort of help to come to this forum. Its kind of frustrating, especially if you only have a basic knowledge of these things.

Crymson_Wildcat
Level 3
I'm having the same problem. As a tempoary soloution to it, if you run Windows XP (As that's what I've got right now.)

Go to Start >> Run,
Type in services.msc,
Find the Norton internet Security and double-click on it,
Go into the Recovery Tab in the dialogue,

What I done is set all three responces to "Restart The Service."

For now, until Symantech sort this problem out, this is a handy soloution so you don't have to restart your PC to get Norton running again.

rsdelong
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem.  Started few days ago. Running Norton 360 3.0.  I also ran Live Update.

System is a Windows XP.  I will try the fix suggested above in the meantime. 

GeraldBrown
Level 2

Thank you Crimson! It seems to work great!

Back_Atcha
Not applicable
This problem has affected both our computers since the last update and probably half the computers in the free world.  This is a screwup worthy of Microsoft.  It appears almost impossible to contact Symantec in any real time method, probably because of the traffic resulting from this problem.  Maybe someone there will read this and get an update patch for all of us.  Next time it would be nice if they tested their updates adequately before sending them around the world.  Thanks to Crimson for a temporary fix to keep NAV up and running (though still with the periodic error messages of course).

Crymson_Wildcat
Level 3
Glad to be of help.

If anyone is getting an error message a short time later saying, Error: "Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close..."
As I did for a short while, here is a soloution for you:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821103237EN&l...

It's fixed that problem however it hasn't fixed the memory error, once reinstalled I suggest making sure that the Norton Service will restart by using the tempoary fix I addressed above. I hope it helps and works for you as well.

Go to Start >> Run,
Type in services.msc,
Find the Norton internet Security and double-click on it,
Go into the Recovery Tab in the dialogue,

What I done is set all three responces to "Restart The Service."

I have noticed lately that ccSvcHost.exe seems to crash following a CPU spike from svchost.exe which does lead me to suspect that it may be a microsoft based problem. But there are two factors here, we can either wait for Microsoft to come up with a fix, or Symantech, and I know Symantech doesn't have much of a reputation when it comes to responding to problems, at least we can count on them to actually fix one. If be it only tempoary.

D0nQu1x0te
Level 2
I installed Norton 360 about a month ago and it worked fine.  

I am now getting the ccSvcHst.exe application error.  Instruction at 0x78144500 referenced memory at 0x0000000 xould not be read.

I tried the solution from Crymson Wildcate -- the service restarts ok -- but then then I get the eror again when the Norton 360 restarts -- almost straight away.

It is very annoying.

If the service is to turned on does that mean I have no internet security?

I left Norton several years ago because the software was too slow -- the reviews on this version were pretty good so I came back -- --- but with this sort of problem and  the slow speed with which this type of problem can be resolved I must admit I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying another product.   I never had any problems with other products -- never had any viruses, etc so I'm now wondering why I came back in the first place.

Crymson_Wildcat
Level 3
I've been trying to stiffle the errors from NIS 2009, and I think this seems to be working.

I set NIS for Silent Mode for 6 Hours, 4 hours down the line and so far there have been no errors. Please try this for yourself and let me know how it goes. =)

Additional: Yep, sure enough, as soon as Silent mode turned off svchost.exe acted up, ccSvcHst.exe crashed. But at least it's better than having it crash every 10 minutes.

bcorelli
Level 2

Symantec attempted to deploy a patch to update all users to the latest revision of our Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus software, version 16.7.2.10.  While for many this patch was deployed without a hitch, for others the experience was not as good.  As a result of the input collected from many members of this forum, we have an understanding of what area caused the problems and have a hot fix available to get your current patch stabilized:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821103237EN

We have decided to remove the current product patch and are quickly working on a new one that incorporates the changes made within the hot fix.  As soon as the new patch is available for downloading, we will let you know.  Our apologies for those of you that experienced problems resulting from this patch, and our many thanks to those of you who have patiently helped us identify the cause through your feedback and log submissions.

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-22-2009 09:19 PM

bcorelli
Level 2

Symantec attempted to deploy a patch to update all users to the latest revision of our Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus software, version 16.7.2.10.  While for many this patch was deployed without a hitch, for others the experience was not as good.  As a result of the input collected from many members of this forum, we have an understanding of what area caused the problems and have a hot fix available to get your current patch stabilized:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821103237EN

We have decided to remove the current product patch and are quickly working on a new one that incorporates the changes made within the hot fix.  As soon as the new patch is available for downloading, we will let you know.  Our apologies for those of you that experienced problems resulting from this patch, and our many thanks to those of you who have patiently helped us identify the cause through your feedback and log submissions.

Hellsbells
Not applicable
Oooh, he beat me!.

I was just about to reply to all you helpful people to say there appeared to be a new hotfix and voila you already knew.

NIS has been stably dealing with my email for about half an hour now ;) and no memory messages.

Crymson_Wildcat
Level 3
Brilliant, I knew Symantec would get aroudn to fixing this quickly.

Thumbs Up for you mate.

bcorelli
Level 2

ccSvcHst.exe application error HOT FIX

D0nQu1x0te
Level 2
The hot fix from the link commences:

Error: "Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close..." after you install the latest updates for a Norton 2009 product or Norton 360 Version 3.0

I did not get this message.

The error is the application error  with "memory could not be read."

Is this hotfix still applicable?

Thanks

D0nQu1x0te
Level 2
Thanks for the suggestion .. much appreciated.   Have turned silent mode on and the error has stopped - so far.  For me it was crashing every couple of minutes so once every 6 hours will be a blessing.

neilhutch
Not applicable
It is impossible to download the supposed solution to this problem.

Could someone from Symantec e-mail me the necessary file, PLEASE!!!

N

heathers
Not applicable
Hello

hopefully I can send this message before ccSvcHst crashes again.

Can someone from Norton please reply to an earlier question from D0bQu10te

~~~~
The hot fix from the link commences:

Error: "Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close..." after you install the latest updates for a Norton 2009 product or Norton 360 Version 3.0

I did not get this message.
The error is the application error  with "memory could not be read."
Is this hotfix still applicable?

~~~~

I am having the same problem.  I got thro to the help desk on Saturday and they did a registry fix - but the problem is still occurring.  Last night I got bored after holding on for 45 minutes - which is when I discovered this forum.  

It seems I am not alone in the world

Thanks

heathers

LeslieMiller
Level 6
This forum is designed for users of Symantec's lines of business products.

For answers on Norton questions, your best bet is to post your question in the Norton forums at http://community.norton.com.