cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to browse internet

vcs123
Level 3

hi folks,

after installing symantec i am not able to browse the internet. If i uninstall symantec, then  again i am able to browse. how to get this resolved?

13 REPLIES 13

Thomas_K
Level 6

Tell us more about your install.

1. SEP version and OS

2. How many systems experience the issue?

3. Is this a mannaged or Unmanaged client?

4. What Endpoint features are installed?

5. Are you behind a home router? If so, upgrade to RU6 MP1

See this thread for info - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/endpoint-1106-false-denial-service-attacks-dns-servers

Thanks,

Thomas

arjain
Level 3

i have observed same with Sym- AV 2010 ( i use dial up connection, slow ntwork speed). sym -av might be keep on scanning the network data, may be it works on high speed.

Thomas_K
Level 6

@ arjain, I dont think it is the same issue. VCS123 has no Internet connectivity with the cleint installed.

BTW, Symantec AV 2010 issues should be posted in the Norton Community.

http://community.norton.com/norton/

Best,

Thomas

vcs123
Level 3

Hi cycletech. Thanks for your response.

1. SEP version 11.0.2000.1567 and OS is windows xp

2. How many systems experience the issue? i have only one system.

3. Is this a mannaged or Unmanaged client? i work for a company and m totally laymen to technical terms, so what do u mean by managed or unmanaged client i m not sure.

4. What Endpoint features are installed? again . this installed by the company for which i work for.

5. Are you behind a home router? If so, upgrade to RU6 MP1. i m non tech person so m not sure what does this means? i have a modem which is type 1 adsl2+ cpe/router.

please help me to solve my problem.

When symantec is installed. i am able to do my company work and upload files to them through a dedicated software, but i am not able to browse.

Then to browse the interent. i have to unstall symantec. but then what happens is i am unable to upload company files through the dedicated engine which shows "failure to connect the server."

Then again, after browsing, i have to shut down system, and restart systemi  have to install symantec and live update and i am able to upload company files, but then browsing stops.

i m exhausted doing this.

vcs.

ps: i use a broadband connection. also my internet connection is working (the proof is that the company which i work for has VPN , through which i am able to send company files through dedicated software) but i am unable to browse the net.

vcs123
Level 3

but here i am able to upload company files through VPN when symantec is installed. this shows that internet connection exists but i am not able to browse.

Thomas_K
Level 6

You are using a very old version of Endpoint Protection. You should get your comany's IT staff involved to get you the latest software version. There have been thousands of fixes since SEP 11 MR2 was released. The current version is SEP 11 RU6 MP2.

Has your internet access ever worked with SEP installed? Again your IT department may need to be involved, they  may need to modify the firewall rules that they put in place.

Best,

Thomas

Thomas_K
Level 6

If you cannot browse when you are connected through VPN, then the issue is with a configuration that your IT staff put in place.

vcs123
Level 3

hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response.

They told that there are some bugs in latest software so they again installed the old one.  My internet was working fine and i was able to browse and work side by side, as my work also requires to browse.

I contacted my IT dept, the engineer told that i need to format my c drive and for that i should contact the vendor.

I have contacted the vendor and they will respond me personally tomorrow by coming to my home and formating c drive.

vcs123

vcs123
Level 3

hi Thomas

kindly tell me that configuration of what needs to be put in place?

thanks

vcs.

Thomas_K
Level 6

Formatting your hard drive sounds a little drastic. Does your IT person think you have an infection? Was the version installed before this RU6? If so, there was a bug that caused issues when connecting through home routers. This was fixed in RU6 MP1.

Resolved a UDP flood attack false positive
Fix ID: 2058022
Symptom: After upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU6, the client detects a UDP flood attack.
Solution: The UDP flood detection thresholds were modified to reduce the occurrence of false positive flood attacks.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103087&locale=en_US

Vikram_Kumar-SA
Level 5
Employee Accredited

SEP also has a firewall component ..Network Threat Protection..I suspect you have a unmanaged client.

Open your SEP client GUI --Change Settings--and Disable Network Threat protection and see if internet works..if yes then its definitely the firewall.

You can check the logs to find out which rule is blocking it and you can edit/remove that rule from your firewall rules.

vcs123
Level 3

hi Thomas, hi folks

thanks for your help. I got my c drive formatted anyways and reinstalled everything back. my issue resolved. i can now access interent and do my office work too. the version of symantec endpoint protection is 11.0.6100.645 now.

also, but there is a new icon on my task bar. it says "symanetec pc anywhere waiting" . what does this practically mean/?

again, thanks all who provided suggestions to me.

Thomas_K
Level 6

pcAnywhere is another Symantec product that your IT department must be using. It allows others to remote in to your system. Talk to the person that provided your drive image.

http://www.symantec.com/business/pcanywhere