cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infoscale 7 for linux 7.1 is not confiured

akassem
Level 2

Hi,

i am trying to install and configure infoscale 7 on RHEL 7.1 on two physical servers.

the product is installed on both nodes ,

but when trying to cinfigure to fencing mode, i faced an error ,Volume Manger is not runnig,

when tried to start VxVm module, it will not start and i got:VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-684 IPC failure: Configuration daemon is not accessible

knowing that on virtual machine, the configuration is working fine.

anyone has any idea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Alleyne
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Akassem,

From the message I would state that your system is booting under UEFI.  VxVM does not (yet) support UEFI as the boot loader.

http://origin-download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/5000/000004704/en_US/infoscale_notes_...

Machine fails to boot after root disk encapsulation on servers with UEFI firmware (1842096)

Certain new servers in the market such as IBM x3650 M2, Dell PowerEdge T610, come with support for the UEFI firmware. UEFI supports booting from legacy MBR type disks with certain restrictions on the disk partitions. One of the restrictions is that each partition must not overlap with other partitions. During root disk encapsulation, it creates an overlapping partition that spans the public region of the root disk. If the check for overlapping partitions is not disabled from the UEFI firmware, then the machine fails to come up following the reboot initiated after running the commands to encapsulate the root disk.

Workaround:

The following workarounds have been tested and are recommended in a single-node environment.

For the IBM x3650 series servers, the UEFI firmware settings should be set to boot with the "Legacy Only" option.

For the Dell PowerEdge T610 system, set "Boot Mode" to "BIOS" from the "Boot Settings" menu.

If you cannot switch back to legacy mode in the bios (this will probably involve a re-install or recovery to enable storing grub on the disk.) then you can try the following UNSUPPORTED method.

You can still work around this by symlinking from /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

# service vxvm-boot start

# vxinstall

Regards

Mark

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you want to use fencing, then you need to configure VxVM - just run "vxinstall" (vxinstall is menu-driven Veritas Volume Manager initial configuration procedure) - you can just answer default to all questions.

Mike

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5

Hello akassem,

I suggest trying the steps in this KB article:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH67777.html

That should fix your problem.

akassem
Level 2

i have tried all the above (vxinstall, vxconfigd, etc.. and the lionk you sent

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH67777.html

i already did it,

but it didn't work.

vxinstall :
  VxVM  ERROR V-5-2-6418 File missing or empty: /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

vxdisk list
VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-684 IPC failure: Configuration daemon is not accessible

check the attached configuration file

akassem
Level 2

and this is the installation logs

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have never seen your vxinstall error message before - so I would log a support call.

Mike

Mark_Alleyne
Level 3

Hello Akassem,

From the message I would state that your system is booting under UEFI.  VxVM does not (yet) support UEFI as the boot loader.

http://origin-download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/5000/000004704/en_US/infoscale_notes_...

Machine fails to boot after root disk encapsulation on servers with UEFI firmware (1842096)

Certain new servers in the market such as IBM x3650 M2, Dell PowerEdge T610, come with support for the UEFI firmware. UEFI supports booting from legacy MBR type disks with certain restrictions on the disk partitions. One of the restrictions is that each partition must not overlap with other partitions. During root disk encapsulation, it creates an overlapping partition that spans the public region of the root disk. If the check for overlapping partitions is not disabled from the UEFI firmware, then the machine fails to come up following the reboot initiated after running the commands to encapsulate the root disk.

Workaround:

The following workarounds have been tested and are recommended in a single-node environment.

For the IBM x3650 series servers, the UEFI firmware settings should be set to boot with the "Legacy Only" option.

For the Dell PowerEdge T610 system, set "Boot Mode" to "BIOS" from the "Boot Settings" menu.

If you cannot switch back to legacy mode in the bios (this will probably involve a re-install or recovery to enable storing grub on the disk.) then you can try the following UNSUPPORTED method.

You can still work around this by symlinking from /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

# service vxvm-boot start

# vxinstall

Regards

Mark