I’m excited to announce that I’ve taken on an additional role as Veritas Chief Sustainability Officer.
I’m proud to be representing Veritas in such an important endeavor – the company is working to reduce its overall greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and promote environmental sustainability within its operations and with its partners. My role as leader of the Appliances and Software-defined Storage Business Unit includes managing Veritas’ product supply chain, which aligns perfectly with this new role. I’m also personally passionate about environmental sustainability. We must take the necessary steps to preserve the resources we have on Earth and curb the effects of climate change for future generations.
Veritas is engaged in multiple significant environmental and sustainability efforts and is a signatory to:
- The United Nations Global Compact, which is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative, consisting of 10 principles related to human rights, labor, the environment, and anti-corruption.
- Business Backs Low-Carbon USA, which is a pledge and call for action by more than 1,000 U.S. businesses, cities, and higher education institutions calling for an energy-efficient U.S. economy, powered by clean and renewable energy. Each signatory commits to doing its part to create a Low-Carbon USA and is asking elected U.S. officials to do the same.
Other initiatives include:
- Adopting the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which include building sustainable cities and communities and committing to affordable and clean energy and climate action.
- Becoming a Regular Member of the Responsible Business Alliance (RBA: formerly the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition) and implementing the RBA code of conduct.
- Launching Sustainability at Veritas Empowered (SAVE) employee resource groups (ERGs) companywide, which are grassroots, employee-led sustainability efforts that support Veritas’ commitment to the environment.
- Supporting Earth Day Network’s Canopy Project. In 2017, 2018, and 2019 more than 6,100 trees were planted worldwide on behalf of Veritas employees.
- Rolling out a global employee behavior change campaign, the “5 Rs at Veritas,” which adds two more “Rs” (Refuse, Repurpose) to the familiar list of “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.”
- Enabling an eight percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) for Scope 1, 2, and 3 (business travel and datacenters) from FY17 levels compared to FY18 levels and an additional 14 percent reduction from FY18 levels compared to FY19 levels.
- Conducting global GHG inventories each financial year to support internal decision making on reduction goals and efficiency strategies.
Veritas is taking its environmental sustainability work to the next level. It is determining strategic priorities to target environmental investments effectively. In doing so, the company is currently evaluating additional greenhouse gas reduction measures and aiming to set reduction-related goals. As part of this effort, Veritas will refer to Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) criteria to determine appropriate Scope 1, 2, and 3 reduction pathways, including 1.5-degree alignment scenarios.
You can learn more about Veritas’ environmental efforts in the most recent Corporate Responsibility Report.