cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting from VOM (Veritas Operations Manager)

mohsinmansoor
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We have a requirment from a customer for extensive reporting using VOM (version 6.1). We have two main queries.

1. Does VOM still supports scripting addon for custom report generation? I noticed on SORT that scripting addon is not available for latest releases of VOM. If yes can anyone explain how we can generate custom reports using scripting addon.

2. Can Fabric Insight addon do extensive reporting for SAN switches like reports on enclosure and site based SAN Switch port utilization (Percentage and Ratio)? I believe this type of reporting was available in command central storage, so is it also available in VOM?

Regards,

Mohsin Mansoor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Auria
Level 5
Employee Certified

Comments inline ( <mha> :(

1. Does VOM still supports scripting addon for custom report generation?

<mha> This is a two part answer:

- No, the scripting addon is no longer supported.  You may want to investigate using the xdistc command which operates at the command line for distribution of scripts and commands to the servers in the domain .

This is documented as follows:

Veritas ™ Operations Manager
Management Server 6.1 User Guide

Appendix B on page 623.

xdistc – command-line interface to VRTSsfmh distributor

Here is an older screencast which will convey the general usage of xdistc however the documentation cited above is most current.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/screencast-using-xdistc-command-distributor-storage-foundation-manager-multi-system-managemen

- As an alternative to custom scripts, you may also want to investigate using the Web Services API for direct access to the VOM database on the CMS. While this is designed to be accessed via web based protocols, the documentation explores command line methods of access as well.

This is documented in the same guide in Chapter 37.

Using Web services API

I noticed on SORT that scripting addon is not available for latest releases of VOM. If yes can anyone explain how we can generate custom reports using scripting addon.

2. Can Fabric Insight addon do extensive reporting for SAN switches like reports on enclosure and site based SAN Switch port utilization (Percentage and Ratio)? I believe this type of reporting was available in command central storage, so is it also available in VOM?

<mha> VOM switch discovery using the Fabric Insight Add-on for Cisco and Brocade switches.

switch_discovery_0.png

Please let me know of questions or concerns you have regarding these issues.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Auria
Level 5
Employee Certified

Comments inline ( <mha> :(

1. Does VOM still supports scripting addon for custom report generation?

<mha> This is a two part answer:

- No, the scripting addon is no longer supported.  You may want to investigate using the xdistc command which operates at the command line for distribution of scripts and commands to the servers in the domain .

This is documented as follows:

Veritas ™ Operations Manager
Management Server 6.1 User Guide

Appendix B on page 623.

xdistc – command-line interface to VRTSsfmh distributor

Here is an older screencast which will convey the general usage of xdistc however the documentation cited above is most current.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/screencast-using-xdistc-command-distributor-storage-foundation-manager-multi-system-managemen

- As an alternative to custom scripts, you may also want to investigate using the Web Services API for direct access to the VOM database on the CMS. While this is designed to be accessed via web based protocols, the documentation explores command line methods of access as well.

This is documented in the same guide in Chapter 37.

Using Web services API

I noticed on SORT that scripting addon is not available for latest releases of VOM. If yes can anyone explain how we can generate custom reports using scripting addon.

<mha> VOM switch discovery using the Fabric Insight Add-on for Cisco and Brocade switches.

switch_discovery_0.png

Please let me know of questions or concerns you have regarding these issues.

mohsinmansoor
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Michael,

I will go through the "xdistc" command option.

For my second question, in the printshot i only see that Fabric insight can discover the SAN switches. I wanted to know how detailed can VOM do reporting on SAN switches. Like can it give us the port utilization/percentage on the whole fabric?

Michael_Auria
Level 5
Employee Certified

I wasn't able to find percentages but here's a couple of screen captures regarding port utilization.  There is also a report section that focuses on Storage but you could request an enhancement for specialized reports through the Ideas portal for consideration by the Product Manager)

switches_unconfigured_ports.png

switches_ports.png