Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Gb Connection between Netbackup Appliances

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I have 6 5230 Netbackup appliances and in order to improve my enviroment I decided to interconnect my appliance using 10 Gb cables, once the cables are connected I add IP address but I cant get response from the other appliance. I run:

traceroute 192.168.150.30
traceroute to 192.168.150.30 (192.168.150.30), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.150.28 (192.168.150.28) 3001.688 ms !H 3001.687 ms !H 3001.680 ms !H

Local 10Gb interface: 192.168.150.29

Remote 10 Gb interface: 192.168.150.30

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure this??

7 REPLIES 7

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

What does a Network>Show>Configuration give as output?

This might seem a silly question, but are you sure you connected to the right port?  I've done that myself, thinking I was connected to ethX when I was connected to ethY.

How did you configure the 10GbE port?  Was it successful?  It should have contacted the gateway and if it wasn't able to reach the gateway configuration should have failed.  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A little more information on what is connected to what would be required. Please share ifconfig -a & netstat -rn from both systems

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

Last time I had to do it remotely so today I will go to the data center configure again and switch the port and try again. What is weird is not even 1 connection between appliances worked. I dont think all ports are wrong.

Anyway I will have updates tomorrow

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

do you really have 2 interfaces with IP Addresses within the same subnet ? How should it work ? netstat will give you which interface is used to 192.168.150.0 network first. This one will be always used. A communication initiated from outside to your second IP will be answered from your first IP.

The only what may (or not) work is ping.

If you like to have the second interface for duplication only use another IP network and "fake" namesolution for replicationpartner in /etc/hosts file.

ciao

tunix2k

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Ok,

I got it, how should I tell netbackup to use these "fake" interfaces for duplications?

Have you use fake interfaces for this purpose?

There is no such thing as a fake interface.  I'm not understanding what you mean by this.

You haven't really answered any of the questions in the replies.

You can't have two addresses in the same subnet on an appliance.  It isn't supported and the CLISH/GUI won't allow it to be done.

If you are trying to set up an interface specifically for duplication or replication you don't setup 'fake' interfaces.  You use hosts files/DNS names to force the traffic across a specific address.  There are several posts on VOX about this specifically so I'm not going to repeat the steps here.

If you could answer the questions asked it might help us get you a better answer.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

no this is not possible. You cant tell netback directly wich interface is for duplication.

And it is not a fake interface. You may have as an example:

192.168.0.15  myappl15.domain.local and

192.168.0.16 myappl16.domain.local     as your appliances. Thsi names and addresses are configured in DNS.

additional for replication you may have 10.0.0.15 and 10.0.0.16.

The "Fake" is in nameresolution. On myappl16 you make an entry in /etc/hosts like

10.0.0.15 myappl15.domain.local    myappl15

(and 10.0.0.16 .... on myappl15)

Since nameresolution is per default first on files the appliances will communicate together using the 10.xxx subnet. This was meant with "fake"

ciao

Martin

This makes duplications (and backups too !) running on 10.xxx.