cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5200 Reporting/Boot issues

Stanleyj
Level 6
Has any one had any issue with the 5200 quiting to report any data and then having problems with it booting? A few days ago i noticed that opscenter was showing inaccurate information for my media but for some reason was showing it correct in the admin console. So othen I decided to check the opscenter for the appliance because it has my tape libraries attached. When i logged in there was 0 information showing. Harddrives, license keys, users, fans etc were showing not status. I decided to reboot the applaince. During the shutdown it froze at a blinking cursor and after waiting about 15 minutes i finally pulled the power. I then had to do this two more times before it would actually start booting. Then once it finally started booting it froze and started running some sort of error check: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi – 3600605b002139f50142903810b66f912-part3 has gone 68 dats without being checked, check forced. This took about 45 mintues and it finally booted. Check opscenter and all informatin was showing with a green status? I then checked the opscenter for the master and all of the media information had been updated? I do not know if any one else has experinced this problem but it concerns me. I opened a support ticket but do not have any information just yet.
7 REPLIES 7

NLeeds
Level 2

We've experienced the same software problem with OpsCenter 7.0.1 and NetBackup 7.0.1 running on independent hardware (the appliance issues may be limited to your particular box.)  The symptoms are the Storage Unit portion of the data collection does not update automatically with the rest of the data.  I don't know the cause, but the solution remains the same.

In OpsCenter, click on Settings, Configuration, Check the name of your server, then Enable Data Collection.  This will force OpsCenter to repoll the servers.  Alternatively, you can check the server name and edit it, change the description slightly and resave.  This also forces OpsCenter to repoll the server for Storage Unit data.

If you discover a solution to this from your support call, would you post the results?  I'm interested to see what they say, though I suspect they will just blame it on the appliance.

Stanleyj
Level 6
Thank for the work around with opsmanager and your slightly correct about the support ticket. there blaming the OS on the appliance and have no idea what to do at the moment. I got the famous i will do some research and get back to you.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Ah the beauty of a new product...  Good luck guys, remember it's a "feature."  ;)  

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Stanleyj,

This is in reference to the problem with Appliance GUI. If you come across a situation where the GUI is not displaying hard drives, CPUs, fans etc. I would recommend restarting the services for GUI in appliance. This is less intrusive in comparison with rebooting the entire appliance. 

/opt/SYMCOpsCenterServer/bin/opsadmin.sh stop

/opt/SYMCOpsCenterServer/bin/opsadmin.sh start

Note that I am talking about restarting the GUI on appliance (not the real OpsCenter server).

This is less intrusive in comparison with rebooting the system when jobs are running.

Hope this workaround helps you until Support identifies the causes behind OpsCenter data collection issues.

dedupe
Level 3

Abdul,

How do you access to the shell on NB5200 to restart the GUI? I SSH to the appliance and login as admin, I get a locked down version of the kernel(Menu driven). I have the same problem GUI not displaying the status of disks\fans etc.

Burak

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you had setup 5200, one of the initial screens in the setup wizard had given you the way to set root password. You may ssh to appliance as root and run restart webservices as given above.

dedupe
Level 3

Abdul,

We have setup the appliance using the command line menu. You cannot change the root password there without knowing the default root password. After a few guesses I changed the password.

Thanks

Burak