cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5220 appliance, multiple networks, problem with media server name.

cmorrall
Level 4

Related to my previous post, I'm having some problems with my install of a NetBackup 5220 appliance. This appliance is a new master and media server, I have no other media servers in the topology.

My intention is to use eth1 for management, and a bond0 for the actual data flow.

The appliance FQDN name is tied to the eth1 ip. I have another DNS name tied to the bond0 ip.

My first test backup was ok, but then I started to get failed to communicate with resource requester(811) errors.

This error is from what I can tell related to communication problem between the master and media server(s), but this just one box, albeit with multiple network interfaces.

How do I configure the appliance to recognize this fact?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you have decided to give each interface of the appliance its own name then you will need to add aliases to its NetBackup configuration

You need to add the aliases using nbemmcmd

Again, as per the earlier thread, i prefer to keep things simple on appliances and do not use multiple names for appliances, even if they use multiple networks as using short and FQDN resolution all round should be enough to get the connections you need

If you have the FQDN on eth1 (your management port) it sounds like you are pushing backup data along that interface?

If you must use different names then add the aliases - after all, when configuring an appliance it can only have one name as far as the appliance itself is concerened

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you have decided to give each interface of the appliance its own name then you will need to add aliases to its NetBackup configuration

You need to add the aliases using nbemmcmd

Again, as per the earlier thread, i prefer to keep things simple on appliances and do not use multiple names for appliances, even if they use multiple networks as using short and FQDN resolution all round should be enough to get the connections you need

If you have the FQDN on eth1 (your management port) it sounds like you are pushing backup data along that interface?

If you must use different names then add the aliases - after all, when configuring an appliance it can only have one name as far as the appliance itself is concerened

cmorrall
Level 4

I'm not sure what did the trick, the nbemmcmd command or the simple fact that I added the backup data network interface to the hosts file. The DNS server is supposed to have a current record, for some reason reverse lookup works but not forward. Oh well, the old fashioned hosts file method works.

I restarted the NetBackup processes and now I could run a backup successfully.

Although I got the nbemmcmd to add a new media servier, the name doesn't appear in the Java GUI. Perhaps I got it wrong after all, I guess Symantec don't really want you to poke around on the CLI level, it's an appliance after all.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The name is just an alias for itself - if a Master has multiple interfaces which are assigned multiple names then it needs them adding to EMM as aliases so that it is happy to talk to itself and respond to any requested name

No great probelm poking around on the appliance - sure they dont mind! - useful for running NetBackup commands that we do all of the time!

Support - Maintenance - P@ssw0rd - elevate

Enjoy!

Glad you are sorted

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Dont forget if you are all sorted to close the thread off using the Mark as solution option - this helps others in the future with similar issues and stops it turning up in the "can you solve these" section

Thanks