cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5220 as master/media, logs, ESX San method

AntBar
Level 5

Hi all,

I'm testing this configuration to backup VM on SAN method.

My 5220's is configured as Master/Media. Zoning is OK and appliance have access to datastore lun.

When I run Vmware policy, i've see VMWare snapshot create but, Netbackup can't retrieve it. Status 6/23 appears in Admin Console.

So I've setting loglevel in appliance for VxMS, to 7 but logs aren't very explicit. It seems to rest in log level 1... :

Begin VxMS Session...
Logmask set to 0x04000000
Current Environment Variables
VFM_ROOT = /usr/openv
VFM_PRIVATE_ROOT = /usr/openv
VFM_MAP_API_LIB = NULL
VFM_MAP_DIR = NULL
VFM_UTIL_LIB = NULL
   08/21/2015 14:33:41 : vdOpen:VixInterface.cpp:480 <ERROR> : VixDiskLib_Open() error: 13
   08/21/2015 14:33:41 : vixMapObjCtl:VixCoordinator.cpp:976 <ERROR> : Returning: 23
   08/21/2015 14:33:41 : vix_map_objctl:libvix.cpp:1206 <ERROR> : Returning: 23

Do you explain me if my debugg method is correct ?

PS : NBD method is functionnal.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This sounds like a masking/LUN permissions issue to me.  While you may have put the appliance into the same zone at the switch, the 3PAR still needs to give permission to the appliance to the specific LUNs.  

I'd examine the host set on the 3PAR closely to make sure the appliance has the same permissions as the ESX hosts, and make sure that the snapshots aren't being created on a datastore that's on a different set of LUNs.  I've seen that done before and the zoning/masking get setup for the production datastore LUNs but not the snapshot datastore LUNs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mnolan
Level 6

What are the exact sizes of the vmdk files?

What version is this appliance at?

AntBar
Level 5

VMDK size is 41943040K. Why ?

Appliance version is 2.6.1.2

chashock
Level 6

I know you said zoning is okay, but in my experience, 100% of the time I've had NBD work and SAN not, it was a zoning/masking issue.  How do you know the appliance is properly seeing the snapshot?

AntBar
Level 5

In fact, zoning in Brocade switch is functionnal because, i've see netbackup appliance in storage array (3PAR). SAN Admin has added appliance in the same vmware host set (3Par terminology). So appliance is configured to see only datastore, not ESX (this configuration is on brocade sanswitch)

When policy is run, vcenter shows that snapshot is generated. I suppose that process is working by LAN command.

You're certainly right. When I run Storage>Scan, Appliance doesn't see VMWARE luns.

But which log can I use to confirm these ideas ?

Appliance must see datastore and must be in the same ESX host san zone ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Storage > Scan must show the disks

Remember, there might be additional lun mapping / masking that needs to be performed after the zoning. The actual luns/ lun groups need to be assigned to the appliance, or the appliance to the group.

Appliance does not need to be in a zone with ESX, only the VMFS datastore luns.

AntBar
Level 5

Thanks for your response.

My appliance is in the same ESX group member (in SAN admin console).

San zonning is :

appliance zoned to array

esx1 zoned to array

esx2 zoned to array.

When I execute scan of storage from appliance, only appliance local disks are showned.

I didn't find any information about right configuration.

If you any ideas...

chashock
Level 6

This sounds like a masking/LUN permissions issue to me.  While you may have put the appliance into the same zone at the switch, the 3PAR still needs to give permission to the appliance to the specific LUNs.  

I'd examine the host set on the 3PAR closely to make sure the appliance has the same permissions as the ESX hosts, and make sure that the snapshots aren't being created on a datastore that's on a different set of LUNs.  I've seen that done before and the zoning/masking get setup for the production datastore LUNs but not the snapshot datastore LUNs.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Re:

"Appliance must see datastore and must be in the same ESX host san zone ?"

Yes, the appliance must be able to see the data store LUNs.

But, it is usually best practice to NOT place all initiators in the same zone.  See the example here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-appliance-vmware-configuration-zoning