Highlighted

5230 Appliance - BIOS Warning

I have just installed a new 5230 appliance which shipped with 2603 installed.  After initial configuration I upgraded the appliance to 261 which completed successfully in approximately 1 hour (MSDP pool only contained a couple of test backups).

During the boot following upgrade I noticed a message as follows:

"The installed version of the BIOS firmware is not correct.  Contact your administrator to update the BIOS firmware"

I was under the impression that the upgrade rpm packages updated all required firmware, O/S and NBU code ?  I cannot locate any details regarding BIOS upgrades for the 5230 appliance.

I don't know if this is specific to 261 (first 261 Iinstall I have completed) - has anyone come accross this ?

Thanks,

AJ

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

There is an issue in N2.6.1

There is an issue in N2.6.1 self test which wrongly reports a new BIOS release as incorrect. This should be fixed in an upcoming release. However as SymTerry says, correct Appliance BIOS version is critical and you should open a support case if there are any doubts about this.

The current version can be seen from "CLISH> Monitor> Hardware ShowHealth" under BIOS or via IPMI WebGUI Server Information> System Information under BIOS ID. The actual version is extracted from the long string returned e.g. "SE5C600.86B.01.06.0002.110120121539" is BIOS version 01.06.0002

Andrew

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

You will want to create a

You will want to create a support case with Symantec Support ASAP. This is critical as there is a process that support needs to walk you though, otherwise you could brick your appliance. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

There is an issue in N2.6.1

There is an issue in N2.6.1 self test which wrongly reports a new BIOS release as incorrect. This should be fixed in an upcoming release. However as SymTerry says, correct Appliance BIOS version is critical and you should open a support case if there are any doubts about this.

The current version can be seen from "CLISH> Monitor> Hardware ShowHealth" under BIOS or via IPMI WebGUI Server Information> System Information under BIOS ID. The actual version is extracted from the long string returned e.g. "SE5C600.86B.01.06.0002.110120121539" is BIOS version 01.06.0002

Andrew

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I can confirm that this just

I can confirm that this just happened to me as well. On top of that, both updated appliances (from 2.5.3 to 2.6.1) received faulty HDD errors - one hard disk in each pool is "rebuilding" right now, from a degraded state. Another Symantec message board post shows that many people have this issue during the upgrade.

Anyways, going back to your issue, I got it too:

Checking whether serial number is present ...                      [OK]

Checking whether installation is successful ...                    [OK]

Checking whether critical kernel drivers exist and can work ...    [OK]

Checking whether SSH is enabled ...                                [OK]

Checking whether hostname is set ...                               [OK]

Checking whether IP address is set ...                             [OK]

Checking whether appliance user accounts exist ...                 [OK]

Checking whether required packages are installed ...               [OK]

Checking whether BIOS firmware is compatible with the software ... [WARNING]

Checking whether registration information is properly set ...      [WARNING]

Checking whether NetBackup is configured and running ...           [OK]

Checking whether storage units and diskpools have been created ... [OK]

Checking whether Web Server is configured and running ...          [OK]

Checking test backup and restore operations ...                    [OK]

Expiring test backup images and deleting test policy ...           [OK]

Highlighted

I have had no further issues

I have had no further issues with the appliance for which I raised this problem, and that has been running for many months at this stage with no further intervention.  I have also seen it during upgrades of several appliances since, again no issues are being observed.

AJ.

Highlighted

Both disks rebuilt just

Both disks rebuilt just fine... guess it was part of the plan (I believe I saw a portion of the installation do a departition - possibly to preserve one copy - kind of like pulling a disk out of raid without harming the server.

Highlighted

Yes - the O/S disks are split

Yes - the O/S disks are split at start of upgrade to provide a backout, then the RAID1 set is re-established at the completion of upgrade.  This can take a while to rebuild, during which time you get a 'degraded' warning for the RAID set.

AJ.