cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5230 Appliance - BIOS Warning

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have just installed a new 5230 appliance which shipped with 2603 installed.  After initial configuration I upgraded the appliance to 261 which completed successfully in approximately 1 hour (MSDP pool only contained a couple of test backups).

During the boot following upgrade I noticed a message as follows:

"The installed version of the BIOS firmware is not correct.  Contact your administrator to update the BIOS firmware"

I was under the impression that the upgrade rpm packages updated all required firmware, O/S and NBU code ?  I cannot locate any details regarding BIOS upgrades for the 5230 appliance.

I don't know if this is specific to 261 (first 261 Iinstall I have completed) - has anyone come accross this ?

Thanks,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

There is an issue in N2.6.1 self test which wrongly reports a new BIOS release as incorrect. This should be fixed in an upcoming release. However as SymTerry says, correct Appliance BIOS version is critical and you should open a support case if there are any doubts about this.

The current version can be seen from "CLISH> Monitor> Hardware ShowHealth" under BIOS or via IPMI WebGUI Server Information> System Information under BIOS ID. The actual version is extracted from the long string returned e.g. "SE5C600.86B.01.06.0002.110120121539" is BIOS version 01.06.0002

Andrew

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You will want to create a support case with Symantec Support ASAP. This is critical as there is a process that support needs to walk you though, otherwise you could brick your appliance. 

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

There is an issue in N2.6.1 self test which wrongly reports a new BIOS release as incorrect. This should be fixed in an upcoming release. However as SymTerry says, correct Appliance BIOS version is critical and you should open a support case if there are any doubts about this.

The current version can be seen from "CLISH> Monitor> Hardware ShowHealth" under BIOS or via IPMI WebGUI Server Information> System Information under BIOS ID. The actual version is extracted from the long string returned e.g. "SE5C600.86B.01.06.0002.110120121539" is BIOS version 01.06.0002

Andrew

Georges_N
Level 4

I can confirm that this just happened to me as well. On top of that, both updated appliances (from 2.5.3 to 2.6.1) received faulty HDD errors - one hard disk in each pool is "rebuilding" right now, from a degraded state. Another Symantec message board post shows that many people have this issue during the upgrade.

Anyways, going back to your issue, I got it too:

Checking whether serial number is present ...                      [OK]

Checking whether installation is successful ...                    [OK]

Checking whether critical kernel drivers exist and can work ...    [OK]

Checking whether SSH is enabled ...                                [OK]

Checking whether hostname is set ...                               [OK]

Checking whether IP address is set ...                             [OK]

Checking whether appliance user accounts exist ...                 [OK]

Checking whether required packages are installed ...               [OK]

Checking whether BIOS firmware is compatible with the software ... [WARNING]

Checking whether registration information is properly set ...      [WARNING]

Checking whether NetBackup is configured and running ...           [OK]

Checking whether storage units and diskpools have been created ... [OK]

Checking whether Web Server is configured and running ...          [OK]

Checking test backup and restore operations ...                    [OK]

Expiring test backup images and deleting test policy ...           [OK]

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have had no further issues with the appliance for which I raised this problem, and that has been running for many months at this stage with no further intervention.  I have also seen it during upgrades of several appliances since, again no issues are being observed.

AJ.

Georges_N
Level 4

Both disks rebuilt just fine... guess it was part of the plan (I believe I saw a portion of the installation do a departition - possibly to preserve one copy - kind of like pulling a disk out of raid without harming the server.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes - the O/S disks are split at start of upgrade to provide a backout, then the RAID1 set is re-established at the completion of upgrade.  This can take a while to rebuild, during which time you get a 'degraded' warning for the RAID set.

AJ.