cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5230 Appliance - Best Practice for iSCSI SAN backup

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As the 52xx Appliances do not support iSCSI attach I am just wondering what is seen as best practice for securing VMware data when the datastores reside on an iSCSI attached SAN.

I guess there are two options:

1. Create 1 or more VMware Proxy Backup Servers (Hot-Add) within the ESX environment

2. Install 1 or more physical Proxy Backup Servers (Hot-Add) which have an iSCSI connection to the SAN

Are there any more preferable ways to do this, or if not which of the above is best in terms of functionality and performance ?

Thanks,

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are two ways of doing this so dont confuse the two...

1. hotadd - where the vmware backup host is virtual and can backup anything in the same datastore as itself .. this has some restrictions and licensing (ESX) requirements as per the NBU VMware Admin Guide

2. Physical vmware backup host - no real restrictions - just needs the datastores mapping via iSCSI

Both need only NBU Client software installing but could be media servers if you wished

I prefer a physical Windows server with a NBU client and forced to do client side de-dupe - but just a preference to avoid the restrictions of the hotadd

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Those are about the only two ways of doing it when using an appliance What you can do though is add the VMware Backup Host to the Master Servers Host properties - Client Attributes section and force client side de-dupe In that way the backup host does all of the work but passes little data over the network back to the appliance. Almost like adding an additional media server really but only needs a client license! Hope this helps

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for that Mark.

Do I simply install the NBU Client software on the Hot-Add VM server and mark it as a VMware Access Host on the Master Server properties or do I need to install the Media Server software on the Hot-Add Server ?

Thanks,

AJ

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

There are two ways of doing this so dont confuse the two...

1. hotadd - where the vmware backup host is virtual and can backup anything in the same datastore as itself .. this has some restrictions and licensing (ESX) requirements as per the NBU VMware Admin Guide

2. Physical vmware backup host - no real restrictions - just needs the datastores mapping via iSCSI

Both need only NBU Client software installing but could be media servers if you wished

I prefer a physical Windows server with a NBU client and forced to do client side de-dupe - but just a preference to avoid the restrictions of the hotadd

Hope this helps

affreen_manish_
Level 2
Partner Accredited

You might also can consider the NBDSSL transport mode if you are concerned about the security of your data. If you are having thin disks - restoration through NBDSSL is faster compared to SAN .

For more information - please view the following page :-

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103509...

GT-GPK
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

Another option I am aware of that has been used by a number of customers in the UK is to use an iSCSI-FC bridge. Not endorsed or supported by Symantec but does work.

See http://www.4bridgeworks.com/products/bridges/oresund-iscsi-to-fibre-channel-bridge/ for more information.

Claire Buchanan at BridgeWorks, ClaireB@4bridgeworks.com, can be provide further information and details of Symantec partners that are familiar with the bridge and its implementation with NBU applainces.