cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5230 Linux Appliance FT to Windows 2008 R2 Media Server

jyoungky
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a 5230 Linux appliance and a Windows 2008 R2 media server with 3 ML6000 tape libraries attached.  Our current infrastructure only allows me 1 GB ethernet from the 5230 to the Medai Server and obviously giving me poor throughput.  Have searched and searched to find out how to set this up, so here I am.

I would like to use FT directly from the 5230 to the Media Server.  The 5230 has the HBA ports and just installed one in my Media Server also. I would like to pass all of my traffic going to tape through FT.  Is this an option for me?   Any input would be most appreciated, our organization is just getting started with this solution so we are not very experienced as of yet.

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont believe it can be done I am afraid

The FT can be used for restores to a SAN client but a duplication doesn't quite fit that purpose.

It cannot even be used for Optimised duplication between 5230's - though it can be used for Opt Dup from a 5230 to a 5030.

Your best bet would be to attach the tape library to the appliance (or at least share it with the appliance)  - providing that it is a fibre attached library of course.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont believe it can be done I am afraid

The FT can be used for restores to a SAN client but a duplication doesn't quite fit that purpose.

It cannot even be used for Optimised duplication between 5230's - though it can be used for Opt Dup from a 5230 to a 5030.

Your best bet would be to attach the tape library to the appliance (or at least share it with the appliance)  - providing that it is a fibre attached library of course.