cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5240 Appliance & DNS Registration

SYM-AJ
Level 5

I have a recently installed consiguration with 2 sites, each having a single 5240 Master/media Appliance.

All was well until we strated seeing ALL replication jobs failing.  This turned out to be due to the appliances not being able to contact eachother using shortnames (they could up until that point and had been working fine for 3 weeks).

This turned out to be a DNS related issue whereby we think DNS scavanging had removed the entries for the appliances as they had not been updated in the past 21 days.  I added HOST file entries to each appliance for the other appliance and all has been fine since.

I am wondering when / how often does the appliance re-register / check-in with DNS ?  In this case if the DNS record is not accessed / updated in 21 days it will be removed - I need to stop this happenning.

After implementing / supporting many appliances over the years I have never come accrosss this one.....

Thanks,

AJ.

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe you can read this and see if its at all configured on the appliance and then check your AD side as well

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jeffbutte/2016/12/18/265/

Riaan,

Thanks for that - very informative.

It may well apply as I have the hostname set to the shortname - which is intentional and I always do this to avoid issues down the line should the domain need to be changed for the appliance.  I believe this is the recommended approach when installing appliances, and I as mentioned I always do this.

If I change the hostname to the FQDN then am I causing issues down the line should I ever need to change the domain of the appliance ?

I have not checked the AD config yet to see which state we are in (Secure or non-secure) - but the hostname issue certainly applies.

Thanks,

AJ.

RiaanBadenhorst

I also use shortnames, even though it tells you to use fqdn. PBX likes to attach to everything in sight, so I try to keep it simple :)

So any suggestions as to my next step.......

AJ

RiaanBadenhorst

Did you check if that sssd concept is running on the appliances?

Dont have much to add sorry :o