Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIR with dissimilar Netbackup Appliance configurations

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Experts,

Just wanted to know if AIR between 5230 and 5220 would work properly. Does anyone have any working configuration. What can be the performance implications if we do it this way?

I understand that theoratically if the Netbackup version is same , it should not have any issues but want to validate it before I propose. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Not done it myself with physical 5220 <-> 5230... but have done plenty of 5220 <-> 5220, and 5230 <-> 5230 - and testing using physical NetBackup on Windows 2008 R2 MSDP <-> virtual 52xx appliance.  No interop issues ever encountered.  And, I've never seen a posting or tech note which highlighted any hardware interop issues or hardware interop limitations.

One of the key points about appliances is that you can replicate between 5220 <-> 5230 - so that customers can realize the long term interop benefits of their investment in hardware and software.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo

There are no restrictions around this in hardware terms.  It is a purely a NetBackup software version compatibility question.  If both appliance and thus NetBackup versions are the same, no problem.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks SDO. Did u ever had a simillar configuration implemented? 

sdo

Not done it myself with physical 5220 <-> 5230... but have done plenty of 5220 <-> 5220, and 5230 <-> 5230 - and testing using physical NetBackup on Windows 2008 R2 MSDP <-> virtual 52xx appliance.  No interop issues ever encountered.  And, I've never seen a posting or tech note which highlighted any hardware interop issues or hardware interop limitations.

One of the key points about appliances is that you can replicate between 5220 <-> 5230 - so that customers can realize the long term interop benefits of their investment in hardware and software.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks SDO

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The NBU / Appliance version will be the only criteria. We have demo 5230 and 5220 Appliances in the office and are happily replicating between them. There is a TN somewhere (or HCL perhaps? ) with supported AIR configurations. It is basically any MSDP to other MSDP. PS : You may want to mark sdo's post as Solution?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks Marianne. I also checked and took a go ahead from support. I will mark the solution