cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding NTP server to Date/time page

NBU35
Level 6

Hi 

Our appliance 5230, @2.6.0.3 in media server role is running fine.

I checked its callhome service is not running, as NTP server entry is not added to it like our other appliance.

My query is if I add NTP server to its configuration from web GUI, will it impact anything on this appliance? (we have valid backups on this appliance)

Also do i need to take some precautions while adding it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That depends on how far out its clock is

About an hour is fine but if it is a long way out it can cause problems when the queue processing runs, esecially if, due to a time change, it finds files with a time stamp in the future which it cannot deal with.

This causes the dedupe to stop working properly until the time reaches the time of the files inits queues when it can suddenly deal with everything again and starts to work

So it all depends how far out your clock is and whether it is in ahead or behind

It is best to get it synchronised with the Master Server so well worth doing as long as you rare prepared for some possible down time

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That depends on how far out its clock is

About an hour is fine but if it is a long way out it can cause problems when the queue processing runs, esecially if, due to a time change, it finds files with a time stamp in the future which it cannot deal with.

This causes the dedupe to stop working properly until the time reaches the time of the files inits queues when it can suddenly deal with everything again and starts to work

So it all depends how far out your clock is and whether it is in ahead or behind

It is best to get it synchronised with the Master Server so well worth doing as long as you rare prepared for some possible down time

NBU35
Level 6

This appliance has time difference of 45 mins from master server. It is behind master server in timings.

I have added NTP server to settings, callhome is working now.