Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance 5230 Deduplication and storage unit

thamerthamer
Level 4
Partner

Hi experts,

we have 2 * 5230 appliance 28 TB (base unit +Shilf),

i am confided depend on what i need to decide then create  the backup partition  and deduplication ? do i need to create 2 partition one for backup and other for deduplication ?

if yes then which type of dedup i need to use :

NetBackup appliance

deduplication or PureDisk deduplication or PureDisk appliance

deduplication 

plus we are going to use AIR to replicate from appliance to appliance in other site ,

both appliances configured as media servers at the moment ,

can someone guide me please  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am not sure I understand your question.....

If you have already setup the 5230 appliances as media servers then you have created the partitions during the config (although can be changed afterwards).  This is on the ROLE CONFIGURATION screen and it asks for the DEDUPLICATION POOL size/percentage/name and ADVANCED POOL size/percentage/name.

In a regular configuration, unless you need an advanced disk partition for some particular reason, I would configure the entire storage as a de-dup pool.  I have some configs whereby there is also an advanced pool, but that is to satisfy particular requirements.

During the appliance config a storage server, disk pool and storage unit will be created - visible from he master server admin console.  Simply direct your backups to the relevant storage unit and the backups will be de-duped.

Concerning AIR, then you must configure the replication partner for the storage server to be the remote 5230.  You will need to use the user root, and the de-dup password is obtained by logging into the appliance CLISH and go to APPLIANCE and SHOWDEDUPPASSWORD.

Hope this helps.

AJ

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am not sure I understand your question.....

If you have already setup the 5230 appliances as media servers then you have created the partitions during the config (although can be changed afterwards).  This is on the ROLE CONFIGURATION screen and it asks for the DEDUPLICATION POOL size/percentage/name and ADVANCED POOL size/percentage/name.

In a regular configuration, unless you need an advanced disk partition for some particular reason, I would configure the entire storage as a de-dup pool.  I have some configs whereby there is also an advanced pool, but that is to satisfy particular requirements.

During the appliance config a storage server, disk pool and storage unit will be created - visible from he master server admin console.  Simply direct your backups to the relevant storage unit and the backups will be de-duped.

Concerning AIR, then you must configure the replication partner for the storage server to be the remote 5230.  You will need to use the user root, and the de-dup password is obtained by logging into the appliance CLISH and go to APPLIANCE and SHOWDEDUPPASSWORD.

Hope this helps.

AJ