cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance 5230 and password

stucci
Level 6

Hello,

I am confuse for password management. For security reason we must change all the password of our NBU 5230 Appliance. I read a lot of documentation, and I try to sume:

user: admin (used for web and CLISH access)

user: sysadmin (used for IPMI access)

user: root (.........................)

My question is about root user, I understand that I can become root using "elevate" from the CLISH. But I don't understand if root user is the same that I must insert when I configure a new StorageServer.

StorageServer.JPG

the second question is, if I change the SPA credential, I will must update the credential on each media server ?

thank you guys

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When you initially configured the appliance and created a MSDP disk pool, the root password was set automatically. Current password can be shown in CLISH: Appliance -> ShowDedupPassword.

Unless something has dramatically changed recently, it is troublesome to change this one, once set. If you must change it, contact Veritas support for guidenance.

/A

View solution in original post

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

For the elevate part, you also need to change password for the user maintenance. User admin and maintenance is two different accounts, thus the old password remains when you try to go into maintenance mode.

/A

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you ever considered to look in the NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance Security Guide for answers? 

I see this in the pdf:

Note: To increase the security of your appliance environment, Veritas recommends that you change the default admin and maintenance account passwords upon initial login to the appliance. You can use the Settings > Password page from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console or the Settings > Password command from the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu to change the password.

Warning: The NetBackup appliance does not support setting the Maintenance account password using commands like yppasswd root or passwd root. A password that is set in this fashion is overwritten once the system is upgraded. You should use the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu to change the Maintenance account password.

13 REPLIES 13

PatS729
Level 5

Hi,

When you create Storage Server and defining credentials for SPA, ... The window shows options to create credentials (notice you are asked to put "Password" and "Confirm Password") and not to use any existing crednetials. However, you can put root or any other credentials here.

You will need these credentials when you would be configuring Auto Image Replication on Target Storage Server. If you have no plans to configure Auto Image Replication then you can simply forget about this credentials.

hallo Pat,

are you sure ? if it is true every one can write on my appliance ??

It is sound bad for me, other opinion about ??

nb. Pat thank you very much for your help

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When you initially configured the appliance and created a MSDP disk pool, the root password was set automatically. Current password can be shown in CLISH: Appliance -> ShowDedupPassword.

Unless something has dramatically changed recently, it is troublesome to change this one, once set. If you must change it, contact Veritas support for guidenance.

/A

Thank you so much guy!

I could not remember "ShowDedupPassword" :)

Hello AAlmroth,

I have still a problem, I changed admin password, but when I do Elevate, maintenance password is still the old. Why ?

Maybe it is the root password ? tks

Marianne
The Storage Server/MSDP password has nothing to do with OS-level user passwords (admin and/or root). It is a user name and password stored in EMM only.

Ciao Marianne,

sorry but it is not clear. I try to recap, please confirm me or comment

1. user: admin (used for web and CLISH access): why if I changed admin password when I doing Elevate the new admin password does'not work but it is necessary insert old password ?

2. user: sysadmin (used for IPMI access)

3. Server/MSDP password: it is the same password that can I view by "ShowDedupPassword" ?

thank you!

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

For the elevate part, you also need to change password for the user maintenance. User admin and maintenance is two different accounts, thus the old password remains when you try to go into maintenance mode.

/A

Hello AAlmroth, thank you so much, I am very gratefull.

Please can you suggest me how to change this user maintenance password ?

can anyone suggest me how to change this "user maintenance password" ?

Marianne

Have you ever considered to look in the NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance Security Guide for answers? 

I see this in the pdf:

Note: To increase the security of your appliance environment, Veritas recommends that you change the default admin and maintenance account passwords upon initial login to the appliance. You can use the Settings > Password page from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console or the Settings > Password command from the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu to change the password.

Warning: The NetBackup appliance does not support setting the Maintenance account password using commands like yppasswd root or passwd root. A password that is set in this fashion is overwritten once the system is upgraded. You should use the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu to change the Maintenance account password.

I never seen before the security guide, I only found and read NetBackup "52xx and 5330 Appliance Admin Guide_271".

Now it is truely all clear,

thank you so much, regards

Marianne

Links to all NetBackup 52xx Appliance Documentation can be found here:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000002217