cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance SMASH Commands

lt13624
Level 4

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where the commands are for the the SMASH console on the 5230 appliance. For some reason, after a reimage, I have rebooted the appliance but do not get even the spash screen. I can get onto the IPMI port and know there is a way of booting the appliance from there.

Kind Regards,

Leo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Here you go.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/utilities/smash/reference/guide/ucs_smash_reference/CLP_Access.html#wp1075976

It works the same. I've used it before :)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should still be able to use the web console. If you find you can't even do that, you will want to open up a support case. 

lt13624
Level 4

I can get to the web console. Its jus the appliance will not boot, it doesnt even show the splash screen.

I wondered if there is anything verbose I can get from booting it via SMASH

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Leo

Are you saying you are able to get to the IPMI web page but not launch the remote console?

I'm not sure that the SMASH interface is documented anywhere.

Worst case scenario, can you get to the power control page of the IPMI web interface?  There is an option to power down the system or reboot it from that page.

I'd still suggest opening a support case on the appliance if you're having difficulty getting it to boot.

RiaanBadenhorst

Can't recall, you have to login, and enter help/?

I have reset the appliance from there. The help would show you the commands and it gets applied /SYS or something like that.

If you post the output of your session I could probably tell you where to go.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you get nothing at all on the screen when it boots?

Is this when you have a keyboard and monitor attached directly to it?

Just thinking that usually they dont boot because they are trying to boot from a shelf and you have to hit F6 or F2 as soon as it starts to boot to set the boot order correctly first.

lt13624
Level 4

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. A full power cycle of the appliance seemed to fix it. However, I cant find anything that documents the IPMI SMASH commands though.

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I've looked and there aren't any documents SYMC provides regarding SMASH at this time.  

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Here you go.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/utilities/smash/reference/guide/ucs_smash_reference/CLP_Access.html#wp1075976

It works the same. I've used it before :)

HI,

SMASH is so easy, just type help ...

To start consoole on 5240, you should first activate SOL redirection in the configuration interface of the IPMI dedicate port (otherwise it will not work, but you can do it with the SET command in SMASH CLP under the right ufip=/ )

After, ssh IPMI board and get the SMASH CLP working

To start the SOL console, just type :

->start system1/sol1
COMMAND COMPLETED :
start system1/sol1

ufip=/system1/sol1

Enter ~. to exit from SOL
setting the MUX for SOL

* Welcome to NetBackup Appliance 3.0 *

Installation status: Completed (Wed Mar 22 05:03:07 PDT 2017)
spa-abck001.coyote.local login:

* Welcome to NetBackup Appliance 3.0 *

Installation status: Completed (Wed Mar 22 05:03:07 PDT 2017)
spa-abck001.coyote.local login:

To exit redirection, it's like when your connected on a traditionnal serial port (/dev/ttyS0)
standard SOL command like " ~. " or " ~? " , etc.. are working

Hope it could help
PS : SMASH CLP is a standard from DTMF, working on Intel / Xilink / Aspeed / etc... baseboard management controler  used in every MegaraC/DRAC/BMC/ILOM/etc. management interface
The Command Line Protocol is just a set of : show / set / start / stop, etc... command describing services and config in a standard directory tree. Be carefull, it's richer than a simple directory tree !

Regards