cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance Upgrade

NavGee
Level 5

What is the preferred method of upgrading the Netbackup Appliance 5220 NBU version 7.5.0.6 to Netbackup 7.6GA.

Currently Code appliance code is 2.5.3

Upgrade to to 7.5.0.6 to then perform code upgrade 2.6.0.1

Would I carry out the upgrade as I would on physical server or do I need to request a USB from Symantec with 7.6GA with code 2.6.0.1?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you use the USB it completely rebuilds the appliance from scratch (totally blows everything away!!!) - so don't try that.

You can go straight to 2.6.0.1 from your current version.

You can either download it yourself from file connect and then open the software share and copy it over, or if the appliance has internet access you can get the appliance to download it itself.

Do everything via the IPMI interface or a locally attached keyboard and monitor so that you can monitor the entire process.

Also do it when you can have plenty of downtime - it can take a very long time to upgrade due to the changes in the de-dupe and the entire new O/S

Read all of the upgrade and release notes first

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

To ensure a quality release, Symantec chose to incorporate the 2.6.0.1 maintenance release into the 2.6 release. Therefore, NetBackup Appliance 2.6 has been delivered as a downloadable package that is labeled as version 2.6.0.1.

Use sort.symantec.com/netbackup to get the Installation and Upgrade Checklist. 

TECH205913 has the instructions for Downloading and installing the 2.6.0.1 release.

NavGee
Level 5

Hi I completely understand the above, however can I not use the usb route for netbackup upgrade to 7.6 with 2.6.0.1 or 2.6, would a quick option to upgrade if available?

Regards

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you use the USB it completely rebuilds the appliance from scratch (totally blows everything away!!!) - so don't try that.

You can go straight to 2.6.0.1 from your current version.

You can either download it yourself from file connect and then open the software share and copy it over, or if the appliance has internet access you can get the appliance to download it itself.

Do everything via the IPMI interface or a locally attached keyboard and monitor so that you can monitor the entire process.

Also do it when you can have plenty of downtime - it can take a very long time to upgrade due to the changes in the de-dupe and the entire new O/S

Read all of the upgrade and release notes first

Hope this helps

NavGee
Level 5

Top man Mark, will also upgrade to netbackup 7.6GA then 2.6.0.1

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

(Note that NBU 7.6GA = 7.6.0.1 as well, regarding the software versions... again when they released the generally available 7.6, they already included the 7.6.0.1 patch fixes for extra stability, and is equivalent to 2.6.0.1 on the appliance as far as functionality)

John_Meaders
Level 3
Partner Accredited

You do NOT want to upgrade to NetBackup 7.6GA, as this will place your appliance in an unstable mode.  Please update using the N2.6.0.1 upgrade - it upgrades the appliance among other things to NetBackkup 7.6.0.1.

NavGee
Level 5

Upgrade  2.6.0.1 for NetBackup appliances. When the upgrade is finished the appliance will be running NetBackup version 7.6.0.1.  No other NetBackup upgrades are needed for the appliance. the upgrade should be done using the IPMI.  The entire NetBackup domain needs to be upgraded as near the same time as possible.  The order should be OpsCenter (if used)  NetBackup Master server to 7.6.0.1, if a conventional server is used, or 2.6.0.1 if an appliance is used.  Then all media servers. Again 7.6.0.1 for conventional servers and 2.6.0.1 for appliances.  The clients should also be upgraded as soon after that as is convenient.Also be aware that if you are using AIR replication to another NetBackup domain the target Domain needs to be upgraded at the same time as replication between versions will not work.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Not a bad summary but I don't agree with the AIR part

As far as i am aware AIR will work fine with any versions of 7.x and also PureDisk so version mismatches are not an issue for AIR - though new 7.6 AIR featires would need 7.6 all round.

The upgrade order is the usual .. OpsCenter first, Master Next, Media Servers next (physical or appliances) and then clients

No great rush with any step as it is all backwards compatibile - you just don't get any new 7.6 features until everything is up to the same level.

NavGee
Level 5

thanks Mark always value your opinon. So I can have a breather during my the upgrade process.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - stage it and give each part that involves de-dupe plenty of time as the upgrade will take a LONG time!!

Also remember there is some catalog migration again a little like the 7.5 upgrade when you do the Master  - though not as extensive this time

Also make sure you have all of your 7.6 license keys and use them during the upgrades to ensure you get all features included.

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified

Mark - out of interest how long is "a LONG" time in your experience. The estimate script on my appliance says 5.5 hours for "normal" disk. How accurate would you say this is?

Also for anyone upgrading, this is some advise tech support gave me:

"To help prevent upgrade failure, I can share with you some prerequisites to check prior to upgrading:
- Assure there are no symbolic links in the mini catalog. In some environments, symlinks were created to help resolve case sensitivity issues. However, symlinks can cause the MSDP conversion to fail.  Check the minicatalog, located at /disk/databases/catalog/2, and remove any symlinks that may exist.

- Reference this technote prior to upgrading, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214325 . You want to make sure the value returned by the command HOSTNAME matches the name of the appliance in bp.conf , same case and all. If not , it will fail.

- During the upgrade process, the appliance needs to reboot more than once. If you choose to perform the msdp conversion during the upgrade, you may find that at one point, the screen will go black and not respond to any commands to wake up the screen. If you encounter this , DO NOT HARD BOOT THE APPLIANCE! The msdp conversion is most likely running in the background, and can take some time (it should tell you how long at some point in the install, but it could take hours). The screen will come back eventually.

"

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

This thread is a handy one to read through - people have gathered their experiences of the upgrade:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7601-and-appliance-2601-installupgrade-fiel...

One user reported an estimate of 1,5hours for a 27TB pool and it took 5 hours, another 3.5 hours and took 17 hours - have a read of the thread - there is some useful stuff in it