cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR config using 5230 NB appliance

Daaa-ble_Tap
Level 1

i am new to NB. We have recently configured a 5230 NB appliance which we would like to use for BMR. We enabled BMR on the appliance. I have been reading the BMR admin guide (partially) which indicates that we need to have a server to act as the BMR boot server.

So the question is if I have the appliance do I need to have a seperate boot server or will the appliance be that server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You need to setup NetBackup client onto some other host which will act as boot server.

1. This other host needs to be of the same OS family as that of your client being restored.

For instance,  to recover windows client family , you need a windows machine to install NB client and register it as bmr boot server.

Similarly, AIx clients need an aix box and so on.

2. BMR supports NW and media based recovery booth. In case you are running short of hw or prefer media based bmr recovery then you can avoid setting up BMR boot server onto a separate machine. In this case, you can regsiter one of your client as bmr boot server. Then create bmr recovery software, called as shared resource tree using bmrsrtadm wizard over boot server. Then create ISO and burn media out of it. You can then disable boot server once you have media SRT in hand.

Though in case of NW based recovery you will need boot server on and definitely a different HW than client being restored as in case of NW recovery, your client boots over this boot server host using NW boot protocol.

Make a note that, BMR boot server is actually very lightweight component. You can even enable it over a VM.

Thanks.

Mandar

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You need to setup NetBackup client onto some other host which will act as boot server.

1. This other host needs to be of the same OS family as that of your client being restored.

For instance,  to recover windows client family , you need a windows machine to install NB client and register it as bmr boot server.

Similarly, AIx clients need an aix box and so on.

2. BMR supports NW and media based recovery booth. In case you are running short of hw or prefer media based bmr recovery then you can avoid setting up BMR boot server onto a separate machine. In this case, you can regsiter one of your client as bmr boot server. Then create bmr recovery software, called as shared resource tree using bmrsrtadm wizard over boot server. Then create ISO and burn media out of it. You can then disable boot server once you have media SRT in hand.

Though in case of NW based recovery you will need boot server on and definitely a different HW than client being restored as in case of NW recovery, your client boots over this boot server host using NW boot protocol.

Make a note that, BMR boot server is actually very lightweight component. You can even enable it over a VM.

Thanks.

Mandar