cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup multiple storage groups on EMC VNX 5300 via NBU 5230?

jovac26
Level 2

Hello.  I have a problem I need resolved and hoping someone out there has a EMC VNX series SAN who has successfully figured this out.

We recently purchased a 40TB Netbackup 5230 solution and will be backing up our VMware clusters which their data is stored on the VNX SAN.  This is fiber channel.  I have the Netbackup appliance already zoned through our switch fabric and am successfully backing up one of our VMware ESXi 5.5 clusters.  

I added the Netbackup appliance to the storage group of the VM cluster and all is well.  My issue is that now I need to backup our other VM cluster which is a different storage group on the VNX.  Any of you who know EMC/VNX know that a host can only be assigned to one storage group at a time.  So my question is simply this.  Given I have a EMC VNX 5300 (fiber channel) and a Netbackup 5230 how can I backup multiple storage groups at once?  

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have hit a dead end with both vendors involved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is off the top of my head, but have you considered manually registering the 5230 HBAs to the VNX so they are seen as individual hosts?  I forget how to do that specifically, but I seem to recall having done similar things with ESX and VNX before.

You might also consider creating a storage group for the 5230 and put the DS LUNs into that.  A LUN can exist in more than one Storage Group, you just can't have a host in more than one Storage Group.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is off the top of my head, but have you considered manually registering the 5230 HBAs to the VNX so they are seen as individual hosts?  I forget how to do that specifically, but I seem to recall having done similar things with ESX and VNX before.

You might also consider creating a storage group for the 5230 and put the DS LUNs into that.  A LUN can exist in more than one Storage Group, you just can't have a host in more than one Storage Group.

jovac26
Level 2

Thanks.  That is similar to what I was thinking as far as the storage group for the 5320.  Also, good idea on the HBA's.  I'll have to research the options there.