cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use NB appliance 5230 as just a storage unit and not as Master or media server

Bharani_B
Level 3

I am seeing some notes as we can configure appliance as master server or media server as it has its inbuilt OS (linux based). I am confused with this statement as I am new to these appliances and their understanding. If I already had a windows master server and i just want to connect this appliance as storage unit, isnt it possible? are there really those super benefits observed when we use an appliance as Master or media server also? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Bharani_B, are you perhaps working for a reseller with PartnerNet access? 
If so, the is online training available on PartnerNet.

If not, find out where the closest Veritas training center is and book yourself on Appliance training. 
In the meantime, contact your nearest Veritas partner with skilled Appliance personnel and book an hour or 2 for a 'crash course'. 

Lots of documentation available:
NetBackup 52xx Appliance Documentation : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000002217

You can manage Appliance Master using Java Admin Console - same as any Windows Master server. Install the Windows Java Admin Console that matches Appliance NBU version on your desktop.
You will need the password for the 'admin' user.

For command-line (OS-level) access, you will need a utility with ssh connection access - most of us use Putty (free utility that can be downloaded and installed on your desktop). 
Once logged on as admin, see NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance Command Reference Guide

Appliance most definely has an OS - latest Appliance software has Redhat Linux. 
I am not aware of any kind of Windows OS format for Linux servers.
OpsCenter should always be installed on a separate server - never on a Master. 

If you are not familiar with Linux, best to book yourself on Appliance training as well as Linux training. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

No, you can't just configure an appliance as a STU.  It is an integrated purpose built backup appliance, not a standalone backup appliance (like a Quantum or Data Domain or Sepaton for instance).  NBU appliances are always a master, media or both.

If you have a master server in the environment already, you would configure the appliance as a media server.  Now, you COULD also then use the storage server on that appliance as a target for a media server load balancing operation, where maybe your Windows master or another media server in your environment does fingerprinting and sends the deduped data to the disk on the appliance instead of using their own disk.  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

So, for Backup admins like me is there any documentation provided by Veritas on how to manage Master server/Media server operaitons from these appliances? As I am habituated to use servers to operate and manager NB operations, this inbuilt feature of appliance is something unknown and needs to be looked into documentation. PLease point me such good docs if you know any. 

Can I manage an exterprise backups just with 1 NB appliance 5230 (making it as Master server)? DO I really dont need any server here? If I want to install Opscenter monitoring tool, where shd I do it as appliance dont have OS? How do I install batch scripts for Netbackup commands if I want to? 

Can I access this Netbackup appliance in Windows OS format? As I read its having linux OS and I am not fmailiar with it, what are the next best accesses to me? Can I open this appliance GUI from any of the servers in my environment?

Marianne

@Bharani_B, are you perhaps working for a reseller with PartnerNet access? 
If so, the is online training available on PartnerNet.

If not, find out where the closest Veritas training center is and book yourself on Appliance training. 
In the meantime, contact your nearest Veritas partner with skilled Appliance personnel and book an hour or 2 for a 'crash course'. 

Lots of documentation available:
NetBackup 52xx Appliance Documentation : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000002217

You can manage Appliance Master using Java Admin Console - same as any Windows Master server. Install the Windows Java Admin Console that matches Appliance NBU version on your desktop.
You will need the password for the 'admin' user.

For command-line (OS-level) access, you will need a utility with ssh connection access - most of us use Putty (free utility that can be downloaded and installed on your desktop). 
Once logged on as admin, see NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance Command Reference Guide

Appliance most definely has an OS - latest Appliance software has Redhat Linux. 
I am not aware of any kind of Windows OS format for Linux servers.
OpsCenter should always be installed on a separate server - never on a Master. 

If you are not familiar with Linux, best to book yourself on Appliance training as well as Linux training. 

Good luck!

Now I got what i wanted to know. Appliance has Linux OS and we need to live with it though you know it or not. Thats the only option given by Veritas.

Just 1 more last question here: 

Can I use same appliance zoned to 2 media servers? 1 media server is inbuilt feature of appliance and I want that appliance to act as Media server for me and I want to use another Windows media server. Is this setup possible?

Marianne

The Appliance disk shelves are SAS-attached to the Appliance. It cannot be zoned to or shared with a Windows media server. 

You can have an Appliance Master/media server and a Windows media server with its own disk storage. 
Any combination of supported master server and media servers (as per OS SCL) can be used in the same NBU domain. 

Tape drives can be zoned to Appliance and Windows media server and shared in NBU with SSO (Share Storage Option).

PLEASE contact your nearest certified reseller to give you a 'crash course' on the Appliances. They are hosnestly the best invention since sliced bread. Once you get to know them, you will absolutely love it.