cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use applainces to backup my data without dedup feature?

Bharani_B
Level 3

Can I use applainces to backup my data without dedup feature? or its a hard rule that dedup is inbuilt feature of appliance without an extra cost? What i mean to know here is if I purchase an appliance will dedup feature be a part of it or its extra charged?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

You absolutely can use the NBU appliance without dedupe being used, BUT you need the data protection and optimization option (DPOO) licensed within NetBackup to do any backup to disk except Basic Disk, which the appliance is not supported as.

For instance, you can use the appliance for Advanced Disk, with no dedupe, but you need the front end TB license for DPOO.  This is also true if you're using non-Veritas disk/OST devices, you still need DPOO licensed within NBU to use the disk.

What I'm getting at is the license of the dedupe feature is not tied to an appliance.  It isn't a standalone feature, either.  DPOO gains you access to dedupe, but it also gains you access to Advanced Disk, OST disk, Copilot disk on an appliance, etc.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

You absolutely can use the NBU appliance without dedupe being used, BUT you need the data protection and optimization option (DPOO) licensed within NetBackup to do any backup to disk except Basic Disk, which the appliance is not supported as.

For instance, you can use the appliance for Advanced Disk, with no dedupe, but you need the front end TB license for DPOO.  This is also true if you're using non-Veritas disk/OST devices, you still need DPOO licensed within NBU to use the disk.

What I'm getting at is the license of the dedupe feature is not tied to an appliance.  It isn't a standalone feature, either.  DPOO gains you access to dedupe, but it also gains you access to Advanced Disk, OST disk, Copilot disk on an appliance, etc.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances