cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NetBackup Appliance 5230 backup via ethernet?

RogerBoy
Level 2

If there is no storage in the backup environment and we have to use the 5230 storage, also we have to connect the servers via ethernet. Can the backup process work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes - it can be a Master / Media Server or just a Media Server

I have customers that use them both ways - a lot of people like to have a Windows Master hosted on VMware and use the appliances as media Servers - but they can do either or both roles

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The appliance is a NetBackup Media Server with its own backup storage - it can do anything that a normal media server can do - so can back up via eithernet, fibre (FT) or fibre (VMware LUNS)

Hope this helps - if not please explain exactly what you mean

Thanks

RogerBoy
Level 2

It can act as both master server and media server at the same time. Is my understanding right?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - it can be a Master / Media Server or just a Media Server

I have customers that use them both ways - a lot of people like to have a Windows Master hosted on VMware and use the appliances as media Servers - but they can do either or both roles

RogerBoy
Level 2

OK, that's what I want to understand. If the appliance backup data via LAN,  is the speed much slower than the SAN?

Many thanks.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

An appliance can have 4 teamed 10g networks so when using LACP (802.3ad) that could be a 40gb pipe - way faster that the 8gb fibre

It all depends on your environment, what you are backing up and what the clients / infrastructure can deliver.

Impossible to really say one way or the other - especially as backups over the LAN using accelerator can be VERY fast .. but then so can VMware accelerated backups over the SAN!!

Glad i could help - the rest has too many vairables to really put any figures on it without indepth analysis

RogerBoy
Level 2

That's quite usable for me, many thanks again!