cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Netbackup Appliance (NBU5220) be used to backup app_cluster with virtual_name?

xhawk
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

We have a 2-node vcs cluster, both installed as NBU san media sever.
db1 (NBU 6.5.4)

db2 (NBU 6.5.4)

NBU_master (7.6.0.3

nbu5220 (2.6.0.3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used nbemmcmd command to create a app_cluster: db-cluster 

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename db-cluster  -machinetype app_cluster

nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename DB1 -machinetype media -netbackupversion 6.5 -clustername db-cluster  -masterserver NBU_master

To use the virtual_name of app_cluster as the NBU client, a STU using virtual_name as media server needs to be created.

But, IF I want to use the MSDP pool of nbu5220 to backup the app_cluster with virtual_name, NO STU associated with  virtual_name can be created.

Is there any way to use Netbackup Appliance (NBU5220)  to backup app_cluster with virtual_name?

1)Transforming db1/db2 from san media servers to san clients, should be feasible? 

2) Since we still need to use the Tape Library, and don't want to make them san clients. Any other way? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since this is getting a 58, the first thing I would ask you on a support call is if the media server can ping the virtual name.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xhawk
Level 4

Could NBU do some coding work, and treat or replace the virtual name with the actual node name in the scripts?

It is possible to determine the actual host on wich the floating IP of the virtual name is bonded to, right?

IF so, then nbu5220 can be used to backup app_cluster with virtual_name.

Since I replace the virtual name with the actual node name in NBU policy, it will work ! (backing up via LAN)

mnolan
Level 6

I believe something is done similar on exchange hosts. Each media server has a STU created, then each added to a Storage Unit Group. The MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE setting also has to be in play.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33222

Of course the reason this works for exchange is that the DAG forwards NB to a specific node and that client name is also the same name as the media server.

I am unsure how this would work where the client name (cluster name) will differ from the actual media server name. (As we no longer do clustered media servers with a cluster name, just media servers that happen to be cluster nodes.)

xhawk
Level 4

Thanks。

But my question is not how to backup app_cluster using the STUs associated with the cluster nodes.

My question is How to backup app_cluster with virtual_name via LAN, using MSDP of NBU5220 which is a media server out of the app_cluster.

As you say, Symantec no longer do clustered media servers with a cluster name, but if the clustered servers are not media servers, just oracle clients?

I think this kind of cluster, actually a VCS cluster in Active/Standby HA mode, is very popular.

Should Symantec no longer do clustered DB clients?

xhawk
Level 4

When using STU of nbu5220, the backup will fail: status code (58) can't connect to client.

The client name in the Policy is the virtual_name of app_cluster.

IF I replace the client name in the Policy with the actual node name, it will be ok;

and IF I replace the STU in the policy with the STU associated with the actual cluster nodes, or master server, the backup will succeed.

The /etc/hosts file of NBU5220 has the resolution of the  virtual_name, and nbu5220 is in the server list of the bp.conf or Host properties of both the cluster nodes, and the virtual client.

So the problem might be a virtual client connection issue, The media server nbu5220 do not recognize the virtual_name as a effective client ?

mnolan
Level 6

Since this is getting a 58, the first thing I would ask you on a support call is if the media server can ping the virtual name.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

An application cluster is usually used for backing up clients taht back themselves up (SAN Clients - or SAN Media servers as they used to be called)

What you have described it just a normal cluster so no need for anything special for that.

A client installed on each node and then the virtual name backed up should simply work as long as you have DNS / Hosts files all in place and working properly.

xhawk
Level 4
Both mnolan and Mark are helpful, thanks Actually, It's a problem of firewall ports. As I remember, the dedup ports (10082 and 10102) between the virtaul IP and nbu5220 should be opened as they do between the actual node-IPs and nbu5220, but NOT. When the ports (10082 and 10102) between the virtaul IP and nbu5220 opened, the backup succeeded. So, this is another careless mistake.